Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To uncap or not to uncap?

Default To uncap or not to uncap?

THE PROBLEM:

Due to bandwidth theft (and my penchant for downloading waaay to much), I have found myself extremely capped these last few months, and thus have had to purchase additional accounts.

THE VARIABLES:

What I currently have under the hood:
    Telkom ADSL up to 4mb/sec
    Telkom ISP 3gb account
    Telkom ISP 2gb account
    Telkom ISP 1gb account

THE WHAT THE HELL DO I DO NOW:

I am considering uncapped, yet am not sure of the latency (I like to game when I can and find my ping to be pretty bearable on local servers) uncapped incurs. Also I am not sure of the decrease in speed as I quite enjoy downloading the latest Ubuntu iso at 400kb/sec. So please help me out, MyADSL, in the long run, were i constantly downloading on a 512k uncapped line, would I end up with more giggage come the end of the month than I would with my current situation?

Openweb Uncapped is R1369 +- , with no setup fee's asfar as i know.

Most people on that account get more than 100gig via torrents or HTTP.

I think u'll be happy with that. If u got the loot

Sounds awesome, now I'm just gonna have to go sell my body...

Thanks for the help.

Default Games

I have more or less the same problem i play Guildwars, cs & css sometimes.
    I had the 384k link and decided to upgrade to the 1 \ 4 Mb line because of the high latency (extra R200 for 10x faster right ?)

Shaping makes an impact on gaming Bottom line ISP too (IS or SAIX)?

I am thinking the following since my upgrade i still get high ping on the Guildwars server, is it not better to downgrade back to 384 k line and get 384k Uncapped Unshaped account and share the account with a mate since it allows for 2 concurrent connections?

Is there any other options anyone may think of please

Telkom Closer 5 = R700 wife like to phone free minutes
    IS Uncapped = R1000

any cheaper option ?

ps i know telkom is dropping there prices in AUG what about the cap?

The cap is set to be here for a loooooong time. It is, second only to the bull**** line rental charge, Telkoms main cash cow.

What you propose, Rogue, is not a bad idea, the only problem with sharing it with a mate is that with 384k there isn't much to share, which basically means that if one of you is so much as doing an anti-virus update download, you will both be slowed down like all hell [EDIT]This is of course assuming you are both playing from the same premises, if you each have separate lines, this argument is moot[/EDIT]

I personally have no issue with using the shaped accounts because I tend to only game on local servers, unless I am playing WoW, at which point I am happy to deal with 800 ping.

The nice thing about the 4mb line is that you can be playing something online whilst downloading a nice chunky Linux ISO and you are still not really going to feel the lag.

Hence the issue in my original post, I want to go uncapped but I know how much I will miss my 4mb

Grandmaster

Kasyx, I think after hours on some uncapped accounts you will get you 4meg speeds.. well thats why ive bin told by a couple of people..

FreaK
    http://www.domaincheap.co.za
    Please signup to Dropbox with my referral! Greatly appreciated!

I think is about time to to decrease cap prices??

dude lots of telkom ppl report bandwidth theft via telkom accounts

simple answer go elsewhere for bandwidth

they are not the only sellers

Default Uncapped Accounts

Sorry to break the news to you but on a 1mb uncapped account you looking at about R2200 per month. On the 512k account its about R1370 and on the 384k it's R999. Unfortenately al these uncapped service providers runs on IS and playing games on international servers is just not possible so you will be screwed there and trying to play games on local server via SAIX or Gamezone you wil have lots of laaaagggg huge admin problems on the servers due to SA server rules and the map that everyone loves to play will most probaly be never on.

still pricy, ill rather limit myself to 30G's a month and spent that extra bit on something else rather than whoring the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by Conkill View Post
    Sorry to break the news to you but on a 1mb uncapped account you looking at about R2200 per month. On the 512k account its about R1370 and on the 384k it's R999. Unfortenately al these uncapped service providers runs on IS and playing games on international servers is just not possible so you will be screwed there and trying to play games on local server via SAIX or Gamezone you wil have lots of laaaagggg huge admin problems on the servers due to SA server rules and the map that everyone loves to play will most probaly be never on.

Our uncapped ADSL is optimised for international gaming, with low international latency for games. Check out
    http://www.imagine.co.za/uncapped_adsl.php
    Last edited by matt156; 26-06-2007 at 09:15 AM.
    Imagine Internet - Imagine the perfect service provider
    www.imagine.co.za

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by matt156 View Post
    Our uncapped ADSL is optimised for international gaming, with low international latency. Check out
    http://www.imagine.co.za/uncapped_adsl.php
    Who is the upstream provider and is it routed via satellite or fibre?

Quote Originally Posted by Syndyre View Post
    Who is the upstream provider and is it routed via satellite or fibre?
    Hi Syndyre

It is a hybrid product, utilizing multiple upstream providers, thus allowing our users to get the best features of different providers.
    Imagine Internet - Imagine the perfect service provider
    www.imagine.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Kasyx View Post
    Sounds awesome, now I'm just gonna have to go sell my body...

Thanks for the help.
    How much do you want for it ?
    Loving technology&gadgets own a Samsung Galaxy S4, Ativ S , Apple iPad4 Cellular 64 GB, i7 ivy bridge - Porting Successful

Forum necromancy ftl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast