Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: "Excellent" Strength, Terrible Browsing Experience

Thumbs down "Excellent" Strength, Terrible Browsing Experience

Hi there,
    How is it possible that my signal strength is 108Mbps but I can hardly have two Firefox/Internet Explorer windows open loading at the same time? It is seriously slower than dialup a lot of the time. And Images are taking years to load.

I have noted that it occurs mainly after 7:30 at night, and also late mornings. The connection has been slowing down since I started it but now it is getting ridiculous.

What I have noticed is that on the modem there seems to be a difference in the color bars:
    Top - Blue
    Middle - Yellow and Red (Flashing, alternating)
    Bottom - Green

It is the middle bar that is bugging me: It never used to be Red at all but now sometimes it just stays like that. What is the middle bar for? Is there some setting I need to change?

I have called iBurst 3 times and sent them an e-mail. But the consultants were terrible and they made me feel like I was stupid for not knowing how to alter complicated settings. I know computers but I am no programmer.

Thanks for any help - I'm really just curious about the color bars that have changed and the terribly lagging Internet even with high signal.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBurst View Post
    How is it possible that my signal strength is 108Mbps but I can hardly have two Firefox/Internet Explorer windows open...
    Where are you seeing that?? That speed sounds like a wifi connection not iBurst.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBurst View Post
    It is the middle bar that is bugging me: It never used to be Red at all but now sometimes it just stays like that. What is the middle bar for? Is there some setting I need to change?
    I'm still using the old modem but IIRC the middle bar is signal strength - indicated in traffic light colours. Red and yellow would indicate that your signal is not good.
    local IPv6 hosting | ping6 blog | jawug hugh.diener@apolix.co.za

I can see the signal strength by moving my mouse over the little connection icon on the bottom right of the screen.
    Speed: 108Mbps
    Signal Strength: Excellent

Ok thanks, so now it seems my signal is poor, is that middle bar meant to be green? Is there nothing I can do? Besides shift the modem around or live with it like it is?

Ya that is the WiFi connection signal and speed not the iburst

Ah ok cool makes sense
    Thanks - so its just that I have ****ty signal permanently through iBurst right?
    Thanks again

Super Grandmaster

Ja, red signal would be very bad.. even yellow. Isn't red actually no signal? It might still work on red but extremely slowly.

You want to find the best positioning for your modem, and you should get an antenna to boost the signal. Lots of thread on both, to check your signal and find your best tower use uttracestar(.co.za).
    Last edited by Ekhaatvensters; 19-06-2007 at 02:21 PM.