Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Java Programming Course

Default Java Programming Course

Can anyone recommend a company that provides Java Courses in JHB area. I need something that is instructor driven, the more practical the course the better.

Any experiences good and bad please let me know.

TIA

B.

Vzap (Van Zyl Pritchard)

http://www.vzap.co.za
    "Carpe Diem" does NOT mean "Fish of the day"

Quote Originally Posted by willirob View Post
    Vzap (Van Zyl Pritchard)

http://www.vzap.co.za
    Thank you.

Yup, definitly VZAP. Did their course in 2001, and got a job 2 weeks after finishing. Been doing Java Development for 6 years now, and loving it. Also did their Advanced Java course a few years ago. Includes J2EE technologies etc, a definite must if you want to advance onto Web Applications etc.

Banned

What are the fees like for courses. I can't see anything on their rather sparse website.

When I did the course in 2001, it was about R13,000. A few years later, I heard it was around R15,000, now it is probably around R18,000, maybe more. It is about three and a half to four months long, full time, very intense and lots of practical. You have to pass an aptitude test before they allow you to do the course, that way they keep their standards up. Also, if you get less than a certain percentage for a module, I think 65%, you are out of there. Not sure if any of that has changed, it has been 6 years. Best thing is to give them a call and find out! Definitly worth doing the course if you want to do Java, and if you have the money.

Banned

I found it...
    Course: Entry Level Java Enterprise Programming - Full Time
    Duration: 18 - 19 weeks
    Price: R19 500
    Start Date 7th August 2006 to December 2006
    Course dates are subject to change

Now where are they holding these things, just out of interest?

That's far too much money for such an elementary course. They have been around for a long time so that's a plus.

Super Grandmaster

Maybe have a look at Torque-It as well. You'll find Java under the Sun headings
    Last edited by Luke7777; 02-08-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    ADSL 4Mb & DG834GT | Ex-Iburst, Ex-Sentech
    MYBroadband.co.za - Your electronic condom against those unwanted telecom infections !

Banned

"Available SUN Courses

Coming soon. "

Nada

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
    "Available SUN Courses

Coming soon. "

Nada
    Just to the left of that message..."View Schedules"
    ADSL 4Mb & DG834GT | Ex-Iburst, Ex-Sentech
    MYBroadband.co.za - Your electronic condom against those unwanted telecom infections !

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
    Now where are they holding these things, just out of interest?

That's far too much money for such an elementary course. They have been around for a long time so that's a plus.
    They generally hold them at the VZAP company/premisis itself.
    It is expensive, but a very good course and worth the money if you focusing on Java. I'm glad I forked out the cash. I earnt it back in no time with my Java Position.

I did my vzap course in first quarter of 2009 under the internship programme they were offering during that time, with the promise we will get compensated during the course. wrote the entry test and got something like 63% and a pass is 65%. told me they will still take me but wont pay me and i was cool with that since i heard they were the best. give me a contract and sign it, then when i started attending they give me another contract which i have to sign. with a R38000 i have to pay for the course. shocked as i was and too late to go and do nothing i sign it. pass every single test with an average of 75% and finish the course successfully.
    The feeling was good cause they make us believe when you finish u going to get something like R8000 to R12000 for entry level. it never hapen, i never get even a single interview invetation from their side, but the one i get from my side pontetial employers always tell me im asking too much and was onli asking R6800 for a start.
    finaly ended up geting a job a year later for a graduate post which have nothing to do with java stuff "thanks to my I.T diploma i get before going to VZAP" if it was not for that diploma will probable be sitting at home doing nothing. but now my problem is that i felt ripped and mislead and in debt of over R45000 now even with my current salary i cant afford to pay them every month and still have a normal life.

Grandmaster

One way to get banned, dredge up a 3.5 year old thread. And post the same reply in another thread.

well since it's been dredged up, perhaps I'd better point a few truths out to Anca28.

Maybe your inability to get a job had something to do with your inability to spell?

When VZAP put your details to potential employers, they include everything. This would have included the fact that you had failed the aptitude test. Not exactly what employers are looking for, so no surprise they weren't beating down your door.

Employers hiring from VZAP are going there to get the best, so they would look to take the people who had also scored the highest, through all the tests. It's a long time ago that I went to VZAP. I was taken on through the internship program after passing the aptitude test, and the course was completely free. I can't remember my marks, but 75% does not sound high, the only thing I can remember exactly is my cdp because I scored 100% in that throughout the course.

R8000 is not a big ask in today's money, if I extrapolate what I started on after finishing VZAP into todays money, it comes to around R14000. I think what you have to bear in mind through all of this is the economic times you live in.