Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Why can't the local hosts get it right?

Default Why can't the local hosts get it right?

<rant>
    My pet peeve at the moment is having to type in the www. part of the url, I'm on the web, using a browser the www. should just be assumed. Now this works internationally, like with cnn.com and bbc.com, but try sundaytimes.co.za or vodacom.co.za and nothing... News24 has it working, but the rest seem so behind the times, and it's not like they're piddly little companies, fix it you morons, you look so unprofessional!
    </rant>
    http://www.investorchallenge.co.za - Test your investment skills against other forum members

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

lol guess its just laziness when setting up the domain.
    When everyone has a public voice, we see how many people just don't have anything interesting to communicate
    Sportslinks

Grandmaster

You should try holding down ctrl and pressing enter after typing in the site name. Browser will automatically wrap the name in www. and .com. But i do agree that admin should setup the dns to work without www

Grandmaster

It is just a little setting whn creating a domain on the Host server.

So if it doesnt work it just means the person who registered the domain was too lazy to do it properly.

Maybe you should also check that your domain is registered properly and in your name (if its your domain giving the trouble)...

lol, yea ive noticed that too. All you need to do is add a * to the DNS records but most people are oblivious to that fact. It hits your business quite a bit when someone can't access the website (I've seen a lot of complaints from other people about this)

If you want a decent host you need to set it up yourself

Sheer laziness and/or incompetence.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Sheer laziness and/or incompetence.
    The proudly south african way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    You should try holding down ctrl and pressing enter after typing in the site name. Browser will automatically wrap the name in www. and .com. But i do agree that admin should setup the dns to work without www
    cool trick....

Back on topic it annoys me as well,

And when you have to say to people go to www. etc. it takes forever. www is the only acronym I can think of that has three times as many syllables as the words it intends to shorten...
    http://www.investorchallenge.co.za - Test your investment skills against other forum members