Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Anthracite fireplaces.

Default Anthracite fireplaces.

I have a normal open flame fireplace which I wanna get rid of, you know the black steel one with the shield you can put in front, for a antracite closed controlled burn.

Any recommendations?
    "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies......."

Good idea. My dad has a wood burning one and it pretty much heats the entire house in the winter (winter means around -10c where he lives).

I'd get a wood-burning stove as well because around me it's cheaper than coal.
    Last edited by bwana; 17-07-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: for Datura's sake.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Captain Faptastic

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post

I'd get wood as well

I hope this thread doesn't branch off like that other one did.
    I think old people should be killed at birth

Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post

I hope this thread doesn't branch off like that other one did.
    You win.

I'm stumped.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Captain Faptastic

Oh no, knot again. Let's just leaf this oak's thread alone.
    I think old people should be killed at birth

Ok - yew win.

Ok so any recommendations of make of fireplaces?

Grandmaster

Anthracite heaters are the bomb diggity!

A couple of things you need to know...if you don't already. I have one of those older Rayburn models circa 1960 which is rated to heat a room of 120sqm. It is a big and extremely heavy, red brown colour, very retro. I assume technology have caught up so they are probably more efficient nowadays. So my experience of anthracite heaters relate to that, if it will be of any help.
    1. They are dirty to clean and refill
    2. Anthracite is kinda expensive, here in Bfn I pay R57 for a 40 kg bag which last me about 5 nights. They are supposed to be lit at the beginning of the winter and kept on all winter long, BUT that gets to be expensive, so I use mine as a normal fireplace which get lit after work each night and then burn without intervention for about 4 glorious hours.
    3. The amount of heat they produce is enormous so make sure the unit is not too big for the room or you WILL be sweating.
    4. Depending on how you start the fire they take much longer than an open fireplace to produce heat. Mine take at least an hour before I feel anything, but then I start mine with normal firelighters and charcoal. I guess if you were to use a gas flame you will be up and running much faster.

Whatever model you pick, make sure you have it professionally installed so that your chimney extends at least 1m above the highest point of your roof.

Goobie thanks for the info.

Grandmaster

OH one more thing. If you'll be replacing your regular fireplace then it won't be an issue, but it is very important that you have as large a section of the chimney run INSIDE the house. In other words, if you're planning on letting the chimney/stovepipe run through the wall to the outside directly after the oven you should rethink that. I would say that about 60% of the heat from the oven comes from the metal chimney, so run as long a section as possibe inside the house.

Another product to maybe consider, is a ceramic fireplace, i dont know if they do conversions from standard fireplace though, but they are efficient, and heat nicely, wood burner (better than Anthracite and less messy)

http://www.earthfire.co.za/

Some nice other choices:
    http://www.fireplacestudio.co.za/
    http://www.inferno.co.za/
    http://www.homefires.co.za/
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

Grandmaster

Damn those ceramic fireplaces are hot...as in sexy.

Something else I just remembered; anthracite burners requires much less seasonal maintenance, as there is little to no creosote build-up in the chimney compared to wood burners.

I do not have a fireplace at all and so it will be a standalone.

What are the price of those ceramic fireplaces?

Hi to all, hope you can help... my husband and I recentley moved into a house with an anthracite fireplace, which we thought to be a good thing at first but after going to the expence of buying all the goodies needed we can't get the thing to burn... might sound a bit strange to some, but yeh to us amaturs it is a strugle. Please assist???

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast