Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Wideband (40mhz) vs Standard Band (20mhz)

Default Wideband (40mhz) vs Standard Band (20mhz)

When would I use either of these?

I have a Linksys WAG300N and I'm not sure which is more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
    When would I use either of these?

I have a Linksys WAG300N and I'm not sure which is more stable.
    not a lot of info here but i am guessing the you can use double the standard 2.4GHz band to double your bandwidth. so I'm guessing that this router is capable of more then 54mbits (say 108mbits)

40mhz will give you more bandwidth assuming that all the channels are free to give you that bandwidth in which case it would be a fast and stable connection. (if you within a good range of the router)

if there is interference from say..um... and WISP using an amp
    then it would be less stable and worth staying on 20mhz.

if you stay on 20mhz it would probably give you better ping times as there is less renegotiation of data rates happening.
    Want to have Uncapped Local? truly no caps
    Durban Wireless Community
    http://www.dwc.za.net

The 40mhz band is to increase the data throughput rate that the router runs.
    Thats part of the 802.11N band its also what give it the theoretical rate of
    248 Mbit/s = 2x2 ant *throughput* ~70 meters *indoor range* ~160 meters *outdoor range*
    The thing is tho that unless you have an N-type card in your desktop/laptop then the effect is pretty much going to be lost.
    A computer programmer is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell", sees
    the "Go to", rather than the destination, as harmful."

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
    The 40mhz band is to increase the data throughput rate that the router runs.
    Thats part of the 802.11N band its also what give it the theoretical rate of
    248 Mbit/s = 2x2 ant *throughput* ~70 meters *indoor range* ~160 meters *outdoor range*
    The thing is tho that unless you have an N-type card in your desktop/laptop then the effect is pretty much going to be lost.
    True both your router and card bust be n compatible or else it helps nothing
    Sweet Like A Lemon