Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: State school or private school?

  1. #1

    Default State school or private school?

    I'm looking at different schools for my daughter for next year and have a couple of questions:

    What are the school fees at a state school approximately (primary school)?

    I would like to send her to a private school, but the one we have in mind is relatively far and, with Jo'burg traffic, would mean that she would be up pretty early. Not to mention the school fees. I'd like to think its worth it, but I'm still 'um-ing and ah-ing'...

    Any words of wisdom?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superB View Post
    I'm looking at different schools for my daughter for next year and have a couple of questions:

    What are the school fees at a state school approximately (primary school)?

    I would like to send her to a private school, but the one we have in mind is relatively far and, with Jo'burg traffic, would mean that she would be up pretty early. Not to mention the school fees. I'd like to think its worth it, but I'm still 'um-ing and ah-ing'...

    Any words of wisdom?
    I have no idea as far as fees are concerned, however I know JHB private schools are pricey. Have you considered a Private School outside JHB with Boarding facilities? Would be the best option, IMO, the public school system has not been the greatest lately and Private is the way to go.

  3. #3

    Default

    It very much depends on which public school she falls into. Some are great (Randpark, Northcliff) and some are terrible...

    Fees are about R1500-R2000 per year. Private rates are between R1500 - R5000 per month. Not all private schools offer a good education either....

  4. #4
    Banned Debbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    another nebulous area
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    If you can afford it, crawford college.

  5. #5
    Grandmaster DWPTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ben Schoeman Highway
    Posts
    2,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie2 View Post
    If you can afford it, crawford college.
    Was just about to say it. A very good school from primary to highschool. They are also busy building boarding rooms at the school.
    Golden Lions Rugby Union - 125 years of passion

  6. #6

    Default

    either crawford, the saints or bic......
    If we were made from dirt, why is there still dirt?

  7. #7

    Default

    uhhh re-read your post.....

    i would first send her to a good state school then send send her to a p[rivate school for high school

    private schools in jburg is around R40000-80000 a year
    If we were made from dirt, why is there still dirt?

  8. #8

    Default

    I'd like to send her to Deutsche Schule Johannesburg... According to our residential zoning the feeder school for her would be Randpark Primary. From what I have heard Randpark Primary is pretty good, but does it measure up to a private school like DSJ?

  9. #9

    Default

    I pay about R8,500pa for a good model-c primary school.
    She wrote me a letter as we passed through Rockford - She said she won’t forget.

  10. #10

    Default

    Had my kids in Aurora (around 35k per annum each) - moved them to Maragon and St Mary's.
    Sure thing boss. Never trust a bunny.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superB View Post
    I'd like to send her to Deutsche Schule Johannesburg... According to our residential zoning the feeder school for her would be Randpark Primary. From what I have heard Randpark Primary is pretty good, but does it measure up to a private school like DSJ?
    Hey you are just down the road from me

    Randpark Primary has consistently been voted as one of the best public schools in the country. My 4 neices and nephews go there and their level of education is good...

    I know nothing about DSJ so I cannot compare.... I vote send them to Randpark and if you are not happy then move them.

    I think you will be happy with them there.

  12. #12

    Default

    Randpark.....

    then send them to BIC if you want them to have Cambridge education instead of matric
    If we were made from dirt, why is there still dirt?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Had my kids in Aurora (around 35k per annum each) - moved them to Maragon and St Mary's.
    What? That's like 3 times what university charges for tuition only per annum.
    Does that include boarding fees?
    life is short, eat dessert first

  14. #14

    Default

    I do some after hours tutoring and have tutored kids from both private and public schools. My personal opinion is that if you can afford private schools for the next 12 years then send them there. Public schools nowadays are really junk. The teachers aren't teaching properly and they seem to not give a damn. Is struggle a lot to get public school students to pull up their marks. Private schools are much better.

    But it comes at a price though. Private schools are very expensive. BobbyMac's pricing is about right. You looking to pay around R9000 - R11000 per year for a decent public school.

  15. #15

    Default

    Thankfully the fees at DSJ aren't astronomical, but it's still double that of your average state school ....

    http://en.dsj.co.za/export/download/...lfees_2007.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •