Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wine and QEMU --> running Windows proograms in Linux

Default Wine and QEMU --> running Windows programs in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Fearisgood View Post
    Lets all show the finger to MS and support freeware and the Mark Shuttleworth movement that is known as Ubuntu Linux and Beryl. You dont need much experience with Linux. I had none a few weeks ago and i could get it running on a Celeron 2.4GHz with 512 RAM and an FX5200. It even looks better than windows and you can run just about any windows program (even photoshop) with the "wine" application. Getting new programs is a piece of cake as well.
    Check out these vids. Experiencing the cube and working with it was enough satisfaction for getting it started. With the speed at which Ubuntu is being developed, i think ill through my Windows CD's away in a few months time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JYokZ4rv-0&NR=1
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/434675..._ubuntu_beryl/
    Quote Originally Posted by sky.akash View Post
    Has anyone tried running MS Office using this app?
    Quote Originally Posted by w1z4rd View Post
    I run office 2007 on QEMU
    Does Wine and QEMU actually allow you to install a Windows program directly in Linux?
    Last edited by AirWolf; 06-09-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Grandmaster

Does Wine and QEMU actually allow you to install a Windows program directly in Linux?
    They are different beasts. WINE allows you to run Windows programs in Linux by providing the Windows API. QEMU is an emulator that runs a self contained virtual Windows environment under linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    They are different beasts. WINE allows you to run Windows programs in Linux by providing the Windows API. QEMU is an emulator that runs a self contained virtual Windows environment under linux.
    OK - so does QEMU run kinda like vmware's stuff?
    Does VMWare run under Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    So, WINE allows you to install Windows Programs directly in Linux and QEMU allows you to install the Windows program in the virtual environment?

Which would be easier to use for say MS Office 2000?

I have seen 3 or 4 files for wine in the apt-get list. After wine is installed is it simply a case of putting the cd in the drive to install a program or is there more to it?

Thanks

Blog Entries

I'd rather go with QEMU even though I havent tried it yet
    Some progs act weird graphics-wise if you WINE them
    עם ישראל חי
    Join us at eRepublik. We need you.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by morph1 View Post
    Yes.

Wine is actually a (recursive) acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

For help on getting apps to run under wine, have a look at http://appdb.winehq.org/

Grandmaster

So, WINE allows you to install Windows Programs directly in Linux and QEMU allows you to install the Windows program in the virtual environment?
    More or less correct..

Wine attempts to provide Windows applications with all needed system calls and what not else natively on Linux.. It's still considered "alpha" though so expect varying levels of success - depending on what you want to do.
    Some apps or games work excellent - I played "Call of Duty" on my Linux box using Wine without a single hitch - it's one of the few attempts I've had such success with.

A good idea is to look up any app you want to try on the Wine application database: http://appdb.winehq.org/
    It lists apps / games and people post there success / failure stories there.

Qemu works very well. I have used it myself, but of course it requires you to have a copy of Windows or whatever operating system you want to run on the virtual PC. Don't expect to be able to play games or stuff with it though - seeing as it only emulates a very basic graphic card you can't get 3D support - unless there's some other way I don't know about.

Judging from the Wine App DB, it appears that MS Office does not work very well with Wine.. Can't say for myself I've never tried.. So Qemu would be your solution.

I have seen 3 or 4 files for wine in the apt-get list. After wine is installed is it simply a case of putting the cd in the drive to install a program or is there more to it?

Thanks
    Depends how your package manager sets it up..
    But mostly assuming your file browser has associated "exe" files with "wine" then it's as easy as double clicking an exe.. just like in windows.
    But it's probably a better idea to run it from the command line.. otherwise you're left confused wondering where the app went to if/when it crashes..
    i.e., $ wine /<pathtocd>/setup.exe

Something like that.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by morph1
    OK - so does QEMU run kinda like vmware's stuff?
    Yes, QEMU is the same and yes VMWare runs on Linux but it's not free.

I prefer VirtualBox [also free] , it has a nicer front-end feels much like VMWare. I struggled to get WinXP up on QEMU on Ubuntu, so just went with VirtualBox..

http://www.virtualbox.org/

WINE is was mentioned, a whole different ballgame. First advantage is , you don't actually have to "reboot a virtual PC" just to run Office. Secondly it uses your actual system's resources [you're not making fake hard drives,sound cards,graphic cards etc as with Virtual PCs] .

Main disadvantage is compatibility is not 100&#37;, not everything actually works in WINE. And there's especially problems with apps that are dependent on other "windows" apps, i.e. Internet Explorer or MDAC or some other 'built-in' thing that normally comes with the Windows OS.

So WINE at least doesn't use up 'n huge chunk of system resources so you can run some small WebCam app , where QEMU/VirtualBox/VMWare needs to boot up a whole new OS ....[big pain in the arse]
    Last edited by diabolus; 05-09-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    If you cant get MS Office to work on Linux and dont like the Openoffice version, and you have some time, install Lyx and try it out.
    System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager
    Search for Lyx, "mark for installation" and apply". Its a nice application for mathematical, graphical and academic purposes.

It is the easiest to install Wine with the Synaptic Package Manager (Ubuntu 7.04) like above.
    In top left taskbar: Applications>Accesories>Wine File and search for a file to install or run
    Sometimes you need root access to be able to install an app.
    Open up a terminal, type in "sudo -i" and change directory to the install.exe file of the Windows app you want to install and type the command:"wine install.exe" or whatever the install file is.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Fearisgood; 05-09-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks for all the feedback I'll give wine a shot tonight on my home pc. @Fearisgood, the root commands wont be a problem - I always log in as root.

@Fearisgood, the root commands wont be a problem - I always log in as root.
    Yeah, that is maybe not such a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkomisaloser View Post
    I must get banned
    <!--

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by chiskop View Post
    I blame Microsoft!

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by chiskop View Post
    Seconded.

Probably one of the biggest mistakes popular among new comers to Linux..

I think the problem stems from Windows where everyone is always the "Admin"..

This is how I trashed my first Linux install..

EDIT: Beaten to it..

Blog Entries

Can count the number of times when i logged on as root on my 1 hand
    עם ישראל חי
    Join us at eRepublik. We need you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast