Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genealogy of Afrikaners

Default Genealogy of Afrikaners

A friend of mine was telling me about various books by Professor JA Heese that caused quite a stir during the Apartheid era and were banned by the gov. In a rather ironic twist the professor calculated that the average Afrikaner has a 7.2% African/Asian/Khoi genetic make-up...

How 'Pure' was the Average Afrikaner?

The ideology of Apartheid was based on segregation of races, yet if you look at the origins or heritage of the Afrikaner people the ideology is rather ironic. Just how 'pure' was the Afrikaner? Not very if you look closely at historical records.

An Era of Slavery

The first documented marriage between European settler and a slave was in 1656 at the Cape. Jan Woutersz married Catherine of Bengal Jan was a caretaker on Robben Island and the family lived without discrimination in the community.

In 1664 a Danish soldier, Pieter van Meerhoff, became the first white person to marry a Khoikhoi, Eva. She acted as an unpaid interpreter and intermediary between Jan van Riebeeck, the governor of the Cape Colony, and various Khoikhoi chiefs.

It was also possible for a non-white to take a white bride. Christoffel Snyman, the son of a freed slave Anthony of Bengal and Catharina of Palicatte, married Marguerite de Savoy. The De Savoys were a prominent Huguenot family in the Cape.

Such 'mixed' marriages were initially more common amongst soldiers and lower grade Dutch East India Company (Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie, VOC) officials, but once burghers were allowed to pursue faming for their own account, rather than being directly tied to the VOC, it became more widespread. Senior grade VOC officials tended not to marry in the Cape since they would at some stage be returning home to Holland, where a mixed marriage would be frowned upon, or posted to another colony after a relatively short period. Soldiers and others tended to stay.

Genealogy of Afrikaners

Exhaustive research was carried out by Professor JA Heese for his book Die Herkoms van die Afrikaner (The Origins of Afrikaners) published in 1971. Professor Heese studied parish registers and numerous other sources to track down how many European (Dutch and German, mainly) settlers married non-European brides.

Between 1652 and 1800 over 1200 marriages were performed between white and 'black' or white and 'mixed blood' people. By that figure Professor Heese determined that approximately 7.2% of Afrikaner heritage is non-white. (Similar studies have suggested this might be as much as 10% in reality).

Professor Heese suggested a genetic mix for the average Afrikaner to be: 35.5% Dutch, 34.4% German, 13.9% French, 7.2% African/Asian/Khoi, 2.6% British, 2.6% Other European, and 3.5% undetermined. Hardly the ancestry you'd expect from such ardent segregationalists.
    Source: http://africanhistory.about.com/od/s...ikanerGene.htm

Does not seem to be very much information on Professor Heese or the books being banned. Anyone recall those times...and was there a major fuss over these findings? Comments? Views?
    'The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws', Tacitus | http://www.flickr.com/photos/milano2001

Blog Entries

understandably there was an uproar regarding the okes books, can you imagine
    Avada Kedavra!

Thats means the average afrikaner qualifies for BEE? Or is there a certain % that must be met by a genetic test?
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

I do not doubt that settlers intermarried with non-whites, but this is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Blog Entries

yeah i mean ive got a black spot on my leg, does that count?
    Avada Kedavra!

Ah yes the old 7%

Sweet dreams

Smile

Congrats on your post Milano.

Yes Prof Heese has several published books which maps out the stam vaders of most of the early South African families. I say South African as The Afrikaaner that spoke Afrikaans only came later. A language derived from the dialect called "Kitchen Dutch" the forerunner of what we know as Afrikaans today.

It is an interesting topic which is not often debated. From what I can gather not many people are keen on Genealogy, especially people that know they may or might not have slave origins.
    I think South Africa has a rich and diverse history which we should all know about. Much of what is taught today in school is the part since the inception of apartheid which I find the least interesting as we know that history well and get it drummed into our heads on a daily basis.
    I look at history and wish to know the reasons behind why people do certain things.
    Like why did the Germans hate the Jews and why still to this day do the Catholics dislike The Protestants and The Christians and the Muslims find something to bicker about.
    How did these people/nations come to this point.
    Why did the Afrikaners accept Apartheid and what led up to those events.

The events that led up to the Anglo Boer War for instance. What were the reasons for the War and who were the key players and what was the outcome of that War. We still see up to today in our country where Afrikaner and Englishman are not always on the best terms for the choice of better words.

Interesting topic. Who here has a Slave Stamvader or Moeder?
    You can take Telkom out of the Post Office but you can't take the Post Office out of Telkom.
    Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    Expecting a corporate to do something out of a spirit of goodwill is about as efective as expecting to win a lottery without purchasing a ticket. It ain't gonna happen!

Quote Originally Posted by BTTB View Post
    We still see up to today in our country where Afrikaner and Englishman are not always on the best terms for the choice of better words.
    What

Rooineks and Dutchmen not on the best of terms

Ek stem saam, milano moet 'n soutie wees, of 'n sout shlong, sy een voet is in Engeland en die ander in Suid Afrika en sy shlong hang in die water

it's a joke btw.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

|GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

Quote Originally Posted by alanf85 View Post
    What

ROFL.
    I had to chose my words carefully there.

>In defence of English people like myself it not easy to be accepted when one issue some Afrikaans people forget is that there were thousands of English people in South Africa in their first, second and perhaps third generation before the likes of Rhodes and Barnato came to the fore at the turn of century and The South African War bringing with them boatloads of troops from England under orders from The Queen, which divided the two language groups in a manner of speaking as many English Speaking people in The Cape Colony and further afield had married into Dutch, German and Afrikaans Families.
    One could have been shot for treason back then if one was seen to be converting with the enemy. People used to play second fiddle and pretend to be English - the ones that had English Surnames - but back at the ranch (or farm) their wives, perhaps some from Slave Decent, who knows, were either German, Dutch or one of the other nationalities presented at the time.
    Last edited by BTTB; 07-09-2007 at 07:20 PM.
    You can take Telkom out of the Post Office but you can't take the Post Office out of Telkom.
    Expecting a corporate to do something out of a spirit of goodwill is about as efective as expecting to win a lottery without purchasing a ticket. It ain't gonna happen!

Well when I called a dutchman a dutchman about 10% of me took offence

Blog Entries

What

So that's why I get a chilly reception when I venture deep into the North West Province .

But in most circles I don't think this is a big deal anymore ... most people have better things to worry about, like the chap hanging around at a robot waiting to smash your front window in, crime is a great unifier .

My husband is Afrikaans and his family are really nice to me ... I think they let me get away with murder because I'm English

Nice post/thread, also found it interesting.

Well when I called a dutchman a dutchman about 10% of me took offence

We are not dutchmen. We are south africans.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet Junkie View Post
    We are not dutchmen. We are south africans.
    I second that.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Cara View Post
    My husband is Afrikaans and his family are really nice to me ... I think they let me get away with murder because I'm English
    Ah! But is your melktert as good as Tant Sannie's??? Get that right and they'll accept you fully!
    Just because no one saw it doesn't mean it happened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast