Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: WiMax and internet connection sharing

Default WiMax and internet connection sharing

Will you be able to use a WiMax setup for internet connection sharing across a network of 6 or 7 pc's ?

Family in C.T. has no access to ibust or adsl and 3g just plain sucks where they are due to signal hassles (will the same hassles affect WiMax)
    i7 920, 5850, 3 gig DDR3 1600, EX58-UD5, Antec Quatro 850, 3D Aurora

You should be able to share WiMAX like any other internet connection

Well if they dont have any wireless services avalible then I doubt there will be any WiMAX support. its possible though. You will just have to find out from Telkom if there is a tower near by.
    4Mbit ADSL
    Capped WebAfrica account for now

A tower "near by" can be 10kms away. I've got seven bars (9 max, 4 required) and I'm 10Kms with no line of sight.

Default Map

Does anyone know of a Wimax map or website to see Wimax availability (Like the Cell Companies 3g Coverage maps) before phoning 10219

I've got seven bars (9 max, 4 required) and I'm 10Kms with no line of sight.
    What area you in DavidP? I'm also in Cape Town (Diep River) and apparently I'm getting my wimax in a week. I thought you had to be in line of sight??
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Default AnyOne on Wimax in Honeydew/LittleFalls

Anyone got Wimax in Honeydew. I can see the Little Falls hills/"mountain" from were I am moving into.

Any issues found?

Only problem is getting Telkom to Figure out where the complex is (10219 seems to have a problem reading maps. The have the complex in a completely different street)

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Anyone got Wimax in Honeydew. I can see the Little Falls hills/"mountain" from were I am moving into.

Any issues found?

Only problem is getting Telkom to Figure out where the complex is (10219 seems to have a problem reading maps. The have the complex in a completely different street)
    i have the exact same problem. do you know where the tower in honeydew area is?

You can connect more than one computer a time to WiMax, by either:

Using your router to dial the PPPoE connection, and then conencting via the router to the internet,

or have multiple PPPoE dialup connections on each computer.

Which why you wanna use?
    Join the Dark Side...and get a FREE cookie (Limited Offer Only)

If you worried about the signal strength in your area, the company that will install your WiMax will first to a signal check to see if the signal is ok.

WiMax is a fixed wireless connection, so it should be 99% stable if you get a signal...
    Join the Dark Side...and get a FREE cookie (Limited Offer Only)

There are several users in tha area - the applicable tower is Honeydew - right next door to Ferreiras
    Hope that helps

RGDs

Any issues found?

Does anyone know of a Wimax map or website to see Wimax availability (Like the Cell Companies 3g Coverage maps) before phoning 10219
    What is your exact address and I will see if I can assist

Telkom Wimax offering limited to 512 k, Wimax is a wireless link replacing copper between Exchange equipment and customer. Throughput speeds will be affected by number of PCs downloading/uploading at same time.

Is it possible to use different ISP's on Wimax? like 3 ISP's
    Knowledge is Power
    GA-Z77X-UD5H-WIFI→Intel i7 3930K→4x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz→GTX780 Ti→2x256GB SSD Raid-0→1000W PSU→ZALMAN RESERATORII CHASSIS

Quote Originally Posted by Khodi View Post
    Is it possible to use different ISP's on Wimax? like 3 ISP's
    yep. you can use normal adsl accounts on wimax.