Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying Legal Microsoft Office Products...

Default Buying Legal Microsoft Office Products...

Never thought I'd do this, but the time has come to go legal...

But how, where and is it really necessary to spend over R3000 per machine (total of 5) for Office 2007 Pro?

It seems so. Pity you didn't do it a year ago, I got Office XP for R1500 (approx).

Blog Entries

Office 2007 Pro at a nice R4160 @ PCMall.
    Crazy.
    ic's back, back again . . .

Do you use Access and thats why to need Pro?

Else I can get you Small Business 2007 for just under R2000 each...
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

You could always use OpenOffice. It's a tad slower and not as pretty but it works and it is totally free, with new versions coming out all the time
    MS office is way overpriced IMO :/
    Feeling violated on the evil internetz? Download PeerBlock 1.2 (r693) for Windows! Released 14 January 2014

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Praeses View Post
    You could always use OpenOffice. It's a tad slower and not as pretty but it works and it is totally free, with new versions coming out all the time
    MS office is way overpriced IMO :/
    I'm using OpenOffice on Kubuntu and I must say that I'm impressed - so ja give OpenOffice a try, it works on Windows.

Open office for sure. I bet you almost no one in your office will need the few functional advantages Microsoft provides in their office suite.

If your employees moan that they don't know how it works, tell them it will take them longer to figure out Office 2007 (coming off of 2003), that they would always have to save their files in 2003 format if they want to send it to any client (most people don't have 2007 yet) and you'll buy them lunch.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by FISHborn View Post
    Never thought I'd do this, but the time has come to go legal...

But how, where and is it really necessary to spend over R3000 per machine (total of 5) for Office 2007 Pro?
    A few questions:

1) Do you really need MS Office or will OO do?
    2) What type of company are we talking about? Is it an IT company?
    3) Do you need Pro?
    4) Have you looked at replacing your PC's with new ones? This will give you office for a significant discount against the retail price. You may even be able to get this with major upgrades such as MB, CPU, RAM and HD.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Praeses View Post
    Lotus Symphony looks cool as well.

I've been using Open Office for a while and it's really good. I export my docs as PDFs or in native MS Office formats for other people using Office 2003 Pro and it works just fine.

Unless you have power users who need to write VB macros or stuff like it should be more than sufficient. I find the menu layout more logical in OO than in MS Office.

i use open office

works just like micrsoft office in terms of word and excel

ITS ALSO FREEEEEEEEEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Open office for sure. I bet you almost no one in your office will need the few functional advantages Microsoft provides in their office suite.

If your employees moan that they don't know how it works, tell them it will take them longer to figure out Office 2007 (coming off of 2003), that they would always have to save their files in 2003 format if they want to send it to any client (most people don't have 2007 yet) and you'll buy them lunch.
    There's an Office 2007 compatibility pack for Office 2003 that (theoretically) alleviates the need to do this.
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

downloading OOo (it is around 114MB (with jre)) just chows up my bandwidth for nothing...

Yes, OOo is a good alternative--problem is if you are writer who needs bibliographic support (referencing tools, like EndNote, etc), there is no good tool for this purpose. Bibus comes close but no cigar!

I am waiting for OOo v3 with a built in bibliographic tool (will work with extension manager, just like Firefox extensions), cool.

Till then, carry on using the MS Office

Blog Entries

Everyone. Forget that stupid "compatibility" pack. I wasted 100MB+ on that thing some time back - It did not work

Then, for those going over from 2003 to 2007, you can skip the whole learning-of-the-new-interface troubles! There is a patch available that brings back the good old 2003 type 'classic' menus! I have it here on my PC somewhere. I'll upload it tonight.
    ic's back, back again . . .

For your bogstandard word and excel user, OOo should be the choice. Given I am not a power user of either word processors nor spreadsheets I can't speak for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast