Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Gautrain will now cost R25.5Bn - ex inflation

Default Gautrain will now cost R25.5Bn - ex inflation

he minister of transport, Jeff Radebe, has disclosed that the price of the Gautrain project will be R25.5bn.
    Coupled with the incoming Toll road initiative, this province really knows how to waste money ;D
    http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/defa...8-1786_2216198
    Sure thing boss. Never trust a bunny.

Personally, I cant wait for this project to be completed, I will one of the first in line for tickets. I'm sick and tired of traffic in the Midrand area.

Any indication on ticket prices yet? At this point I would pay anything!!

I don't care how much it costs. As long as they do it and more! We need public transport at all cost. The only organization who can fund extremely expensive efforts like these is government. It is their job to build these things private enterprise cannot fund and then allow private companies to run it and create jobs ontop of.

It is all good. It can cost 40Bn for all I care.

We do need it desperately, but it is unfortunate that these costs are escalating like this. We seriously need to sort out our education system - which is the most critical problem we are facing - and being too free with the money elsewhere doesn't help.

There are some concerning parts in the article tho:

there is no breakdown of costs for individual elements as in a traditional type contract with a list of quantities and related prices.
    "It is not possible to provide separate costs."
    Why?

The minister said, that Bombela, the winning contractor, did propose a reduction in the number of buses with an increase in the number of parking spaces at certain stations.
    How are these interchangeable?

Quote Originally Posted by sox63 View Post
    Personally, I cant wait for this project to be completed, I will one of the first in line for tickets. I'm sick and tired of traffic in the Midrand area.

Any indication on ticket prices yet? At this point I would pay anything!!
    So how do you get to Allandale?

Shock horror - a project that is going to come in over budget - that would never happen overseas would it?

Sorry, but I think the country needs the Gautrain and plenty more projects like it.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by JK8 View Post
    So how do you get to Allandale?
    I try to stay away from it as much as I can during peak times. I use the R55 to get Sandton. And use New Road if I have to go to Pretoria.

Hell yeah^^^ The Gautrain is going to be great, think of how many jobs thats going to create - If they spend 25bill and create 100 jobs im happy! Cant wait till it is completed and eventually expanded.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Another vote from me that I don't care about the cost, they don't wanna physically add more lanes to the highway to ease congestion so I'll settle for a high speed luxury train instead, thank you very much.

I would like to see a really fast, modern train between CT and Pretoria (it can stop in the normal spots along the way).

Alleviate some of the air congestion that is building up above SA.
    GPSTravelMaps

I rarely visit you guys these days...

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Hows about a train connecting CT, PE, DBN, PTA and JHB, that'd be sweet. But we all know half the population would start PMSing at that thought because of cost.

Quote Originally Posted by vespax View Post
    I would like to see a really fast, modern train between CT and Pretoria (it can stop in the normal spots along the way).

Alleviate some of the air congestion that is building up above SA.
    Imagine a MAGLEV train between the two!

Its fast, and you still get to see the scenery!

Quote Originally Posted by sox63 View Post
    I try to stay away from it as much as I can during peak times. I use the R55 to get Sandton. And use New Road if I have to go to Pretoria.
    No I meant, get to Allandale coz thats where the Midrand train station is right?

Quote Originally Posted by JK8 View Post
    No I meant, get to Allandale coz thats where the Midrand train station is right?
    Oh, I live just off the intersection of the R55 with Allandale, so it would be quite easy to get there. I look forward to just parking my car and riding everywhere I usually get too.

Lets not forget the Airport won't be such a hassle to get to on time anymore.

Super Grandmaster

At least we're getting something for the billions spent this time.
    I wonder how they plan to add more stations to the line?

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast