Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: "freely you have received freely you shall give???"

Vodacom Representative

Quote Originally Posted by Csnoopy View Post
    Sowing is hard work and reaping just as much. We are all sowing hard to reap what we paid for & not have to give it back everytime if we dont use it. Like DBRO.

Ek verstaan nie so mooi nie kan jy dit dalk in afrikaans vertaal. Asseblief man.

Geen probleem:

"Aanvaar verantwoordelikheid. Moenie ander probeer blameer vir enigiets nie, net jy is in beheer van jou eie lewe."

/Af die seepkis.
    Last edited by vodacom3g; 13-11-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vodacom3g View Post
    Never used the term till your frequent references to 'ol Steve, now it pops up everywhere.
    It was 'ol Steve @ Telkodemonopolies that publicly accused rpm of using "Chinese Maths", and it was in reality 'ol Steve whose maths was defective - with Steve claiming an average 24% reduction in ADSL pricing, when in fact it was only 12%.
    Soon we're going to 'save' even more money.

As you know the backhaul is getting a massive upgrade to be able to carry the higher bitrates coming. As these bitrates are again a function of better encoding, it holds (in Prom's version, at least) that it'll now be even less expensive to deliver the service....

At this rate, we'll have to pay you to use the future 100Mb/s service!
    Prom queen maths?

<added>
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnoopy View Post
    ...they only gave away R100m to upgrade the sim cards.
    It was not SIM cards, it was PCMCIA HSDPA Data Cards, i.e. modems.
    </added>
    Last edited by ic; 13-11-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Super Grandmaster

You really should watch out for these "No-one loves me" 4am posts.... Especially in the middle of the week!

Sowing and reaping is a function of one thing, and one thing only; hard work. Followed by the ability to take responsibility for your own world and actions.

Playing the Lotto to become rich is counter-indicative to the above, btw.

As Connery's immortal line in 'The Rock' said; "Losers always whine about 'doing their best', winners go home with the Prom Queen" (censored version).

/Getting off the soap box.

Brilliant quote, not sure how I missed that when I watched it. Some [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Shrugged-Ayn-Rand/dp/0451191145]reading[/ame] to keep Csnoopy busy at 4 am. Capitalism FTW.

Sorry to say, but this post is almost starting to sound like "mybroadband" is owned by Vodacom. no criticism allowed ?? what was originally said, is something which is talked about outside of this forum by most users, no-one is 100% happy with what we are getting, but "beggers can't be choosers" the service providers aren't really in competition with each other, all has close enough the same prices, it only depended on what name you liked, your current provider, what you got for free..... And as to the "free " swopout..... firstly I definitely used way more data the moment I got onto HSDPA, and secondly, what happened to the old cards ? was it donated to people to help get them connected (or generate more income, depending which way you look at it) that would have meant a cost to Vodacom. (or investment) In any case just my 2c worth.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Sorry to say, but this post is almost starting to sound like "mybroadband" is owned by Vodacom. no criticism allowed ?? what was originally said, is something which is talked about outside of this forum by most users, no-one is 100% happy with what we are getting, but "beggers can't be choosers" the service providers aren't really in competition with each other, all has close enough the same prices, it only depended on what name you liked, your current provider, what you got for free..... And as to the "free " swopout..... firstly I definitely used way more data the moment I got onto HSDPA, and secondly, what happened to the old cards ? was it donated to people to help get them connected (or generate more income, depending which way you look at it) that would have meant a cost to Vodacom. (or investment) In any case just my 2c worth.

The criticising posts haven't been deleted so criticism is definitely allowed, we're just free to disagree with it. There definitely are valid criticisms to be made, but that doesn't mean all criticism is automatically valid. Not sure what happened to the old cards but whether they were given away or sold the fact remains that they were worth much less than the HSDPA cards that were given out.

Sorry to say, but this post is almost starting to sound like "mybroadband" is owned by Vodacom. no criticism allowed ??
    Debate involves differing opinions, debate makes things more interesting, criticism is definitely allowed, and MyBroadband is not owned by Vodacom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndyre View Post
    The criticising posts haven't been deleted so criticism is definitely allowed, we're just free to disagree with it. There definitely are valid criticisms to be made, but that doesn't mean all criticism is automatically valid. Not sure what happened to the old cards but whether they were given away or sold the fact remains that they were worth much less than the HSDPA cards that were given out.
    Exactly .

BTW, I think Internet Solutions is renting out quite a few of those old vanilla-3G PCMCIA data card modems - for Csnoopy's benefit, SIM cards and data cards are not the same thing.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ic View Post
    BTW, I think Internet Solutions is renting out quite a few of those old vanilla-3G PCMCIA data card modems
    I remember V3G mentioning them being sent into Africa too, and as always Google reveals all. Remember those IS packages being quite expensive, think they charged quite expensive setup fees etc.

for Csnoopy's benefit, SIM cards and data cards are not the same thing.

Blog Entries

And as to the "free " swopout..... firstly I definitely used way more data the moment I got onto HSDPA
    It was free, not "free ". Also, it's not Vodacom's fault that you use more data now on HSDPA than on 3G, it’s your own (no one forced you to upgrade in any case). If I visit site X via GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA, there will be a small difference in data usage, but not enough to break the bank.
    ic's back, back again . . .

Vodacom Representative

Sorry to say, but this post is almost starting to sound like "mybroadband" is owned by Vodacom. no criticism allowed ?? what was originally said, is something which is talked about outside of this forum by most users, no-one is 100&#37; happy with what we are getting, but "beggers can't be choosers" the service providers aren't really in competition with each other, all has close enough the same prices, it only depended on what name you liked, your current provider, what you got for free..... And as to the "free " swopout..... firstly I definitely used way more data the moment I got onto HSDPA, and secondly, what happened to the old cards ? was it donated to people to help get them connected (or generate more income, depending which way you look at it) that would have meant a cost to Vodacom. (or investment) In any case just my 2c worth.
    I think (rather, I know) one of the main reasons Vodacom participate here is because there is no hope in hell that it could control the myADSL forum. Instead we view it as a place where open debate can be engaged in. The average forumite is a pretty clued-up (if warped) character and I thoroughly enjoy interacting with everyone here.

We do get beaten up on an ongoing basis and when it's deserved, it's deserved. But when it's unfairly so, I'll set the record straight. You'll also find that forumites often remind each other to play the ball and not the man.

Debate is just that; just because I represent Vodacom does not mean I need to keep quiet and let VC get beaten up unfairly. Thus I'll speak my mind (just like everyone else!). I do tend to get hot under the collar when a question is asked, I answer it, and someone who clearly has got no clue decides my answer is a lie. And then refuse to back it up.

If I'm going to to come here and tell lies, it'll be exposed pretty quickly. Even the school kids in Dullview seem to know more than me...

I believe this policy of openness is working well and both the forum and Vodacom benefits from the interaction.

I think most of those old 3G cards found their way into more needy channels. Don't think they ever got resold.

You should also consider the effect on the network, caused by this free swap-out. When HSDPA was launched, 3G was a year old, so all the cards were still in their first 24 month cycle. New contracts would obviously be HSDPA but it would give us a year to upgrade the back-haul to cater for the 384->1800 jump in bandwidth.

But the decision to swap out created a situation where the network, literally overnight, had to jump in capacity. No easy task, actually pretty impossible. And although Prom claims this is how you SAVE money, you know what your Telkom bill is going to look like when your required bandwidth jumps by a factor 4 or 5 overnight. With no extra revenue to offset against it.
    Last edited by vodacom3g; 13-11-2007 at 07:03 PM.

I remember V3G mentioning them being sent into Africa too, and as always Google reveals all. Remember those IS packages being quite expensive, think they charged quite expensive setup fees etc.
    Yep, I did remember that v3g mentioned they were shipped into other parts of Africa, but I was too lazy to mention it , must say your Google skills are better than mine for having found that post of v3g's .

I also vaguely remember that Internet Solutions referred to those vanilla-3G data cards, as being "refurbished", which makes me wonder if those data cards might have originally have been from MTN, I also remember that IS was charging customers waaay too much for using those refurbished data cards. It's a small mystery, but not one that particularly interests me.
    Last edited by ic; 13-11-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Super Grandmaster

Yep, I did remember that v3g mentioned they were shipped into other parts of Africa, but I was too lazy to mention it , must say your Google skills are better than mine for having found that post of v3g's .
    I just did a "site:mybroadband.co.za vodacom3g got sent into africa" and got lucky.

I also vaguely remember that Internet Solutions referred to those vanilla-3G data cards, as being "refurbished", which makes me wonder if those data cards might have originally have been from MTN, I also remember that IS was charging customers waaay too much for using those refurbished data cards. It's a small mystery, but not one that particularly interests me.
    Either MTN or maybe even overseas I suppose, they could probably pick them up pretty cheaply from almost anywhere.

I just did a "site:mybroadband.co.za vodacom3g got sent into africa" and got lucky.
    Either MTN or maybe even overseas I suppose, they could probably pick them up pretty cheaply from almost anywhere.
    Yep, I expect that previously-owned vanilla-3G data cards, are somewhat worthless, IIRC a resale value of about ZAR350 was mentioned somewhere.

Super Grandmaster

Yep, I expect that previously-owned vanilla-3G data cards, are somewhat worthless, IIRC a resale value of about ZAR350 was mentioned somewhere.
    I've actually got one, going to try out the MyADSL classifieds soon.

Grandmaster

Angry Artificial pricing like the Bread manufacturers?

Are they again colluding like they did in the past, when they got caught out, they the cellphone providers? just like the ouks that make bread that got caught out for colluding on the bread price? R100m fine? I just hope the goverment is going to pour that back into society??!!

Grandmaster

Debate involves differing opinions, debate makes things more interesting, criticism is definitely allowed, and MyBroadband is not owned by Vodacom.Exactly .

BTW, I think Internet Solutions is renting out quite a few of those old vanilla-3G PCMCIA data card modems - for Csnoopy's benefit, SIM cards and data cards are not the same thing.
    @ic, please can you quote the post where I said so, please use your quote button it is very friendly who knows what is what now a day's, with oobr,ibr,4u,ru,vc4me,vc versus v3g etc. etc etc & etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast