Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Check name again ID Number

Default Check name again ID Number

Hey guys,

Is there anyplace I can check to see if my wife's surname has changed to my surname after we got married a few months ago? When I call Home Affairs, the idiots don't seem to understand what I'm asking them. The reasons is that we want to apply for a new ID document with the new surname, but donít want to go thru the hassle just to get a ID back with the old, or worse, wrong surname.

Any help will be appreciated.
    The very existence of flamethrowers suggests that at one point someone said to them self, "You know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire."

Verification of marital status? http://home-affairs.pwv.gov.za/statu...tal_status.asp

EDIT -
    Section 26: Change of surname of majors

In terms of section 26(1), a woman may assume her husband's surname, or revert to her maiden surname or a prior surname she legally bore and since 1997 a woman may also join her surname with that of her husband's as a double-barrelled surname. No application to the Department of Home Affairs is necessary in these instances, but to enable the Department to update the Population Register, women should notify the Department of such changes in writing.
    AFAIK you just go in with your marriage certificate and order up a new ID book.
    Last edited by bwana; 23-11-2007 at 08:45 AM.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Verification of marital status? http://home-affairs.pwv.gov.za/statu...tal_status.asp

EDIT - AFAIK you just go in with your marriage certificate and order up a new ID book.

That would be correct.

Cool. Thanx for the info. Now come the sh*tty job on going into the Home Affairs offices to apply for the ID
    The very existence of flamethrowers suggests that at one point someone said to them self, "You know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire."

Freakboy, the Centurion DHA office aint that bad. Anyway, pm me you and your wifes ID no's if you want and I can check up here at work here if you two are married on the population register or not (marriage officers is supposed to hand in their marriage register but sometimes they are a bit lax about that)...
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

Thanx ssbird, send you a PM.

I wouldn't enter my ID number online....

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Freakboy, the Centurion DHA office aint that bad. Anyway, pm me you and your wifes ID no's if you want and I can check up here at work here if you two are married on the population register or not (marriage officers is supposed to hand in their marriage register but sometimes they are a bit lax about that)...
    Centurion DHA is top class

Quote Originally Posted by blueghost_39 View Post
    I wouldn't enter my ID number online....
    Why not? It's easy enough to tell where it is going and lets face it - they already have it.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

He is indeed married.

Oh, and it slipped my mind till just now, but he could have checked here himself:

http://www.dha.gov.za/enquiry/marita...tal_status.asp
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Why not? It's easy enough to tell where it is going and lets face it - they already have it.
    Call me paranoid but will never do it