Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Dripping Geyser

Default Dripping Geyser

Does anyone know anything about dripping geysers?

I had problems with the geyser over the weekend, and the plumber came in yesterday and replaced the thermostat and the TP valve. But when I got home, the overflow pipe was dripping quite fast - one or two drips per second. The drips are cold, and it seems to slow down if I use any hot water.

I suppose I'll have to phone my landlord and ask him to get the plumber back in.... but surely what he did yesterday should have fixed any problems?

Does anyone know anything about dripping geysers?
    Not much, but I can tell you that we had to buy a new one the last time ours dripped.

If you do get a new one, make sure you get one with one of those tray things under it. Required by law + can save your ass/furniture.

Hopefully it won't come to that... and one of the benefits of renting is that if it did, I wouldn't have to pay for it myself :-) But I just hate having to phone someone up and say, you know when you paid R700-odd for the plumber yesterday, well, it's still not fixed...

Quote Originally Posted by Cathryn View Post
    Hopefully it won't come to that... and one of the benefits of renting is that if it did, I wouldn't have to pay for it myself :-) But I just hate having to phone someone up and say, you know when you paid R700-odd for the plumber yesterday, well, it's still not fixed...
    If you do it quickly enough the plumber might not charge the guy an extra call out fee.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When our geyser's element packed up, I tried to replace it. It was only then that I could take stock of the geyser's condition - rusted underneath, was on a pan, pan was also rusted, thread for the element was shot to schitte (they superglued the element back in), and in general was a stuffup.

Luckily the insurance on the house replaced the geyser for us

A proper geyser on legs, standing on a new pan, and all is well

As Bwana says - do get the plumber back soonish and you won't have to pay another callout fee as this is clearly a callback.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

VOTE #ROCK FOR PRESIDENT

Unless your plumber is from the street, the landlord did not want to pay that much to get the professional plumbers, out..

We had to replace our whole entire geyser and thanks to bester plumbers, they contract out to banks, they are the best and most fastest plumbers, I've seen. My previous property took them nearly 8 hours to replace the stupid geyser it was standing up.. Now this geyser in this house is in the roof....
    Loving technology&gadgets own a Samsung Galaxy S4, Ativ S , Apple iPad4 Cellular 64 GB, i7 ivy bridge - Porting Successful

Blog Entries

We were unfortunate enough to have our geyser burst during the night(about a week ago).
    Damage : 1x3 m hole in ceiling,wet carpets , broken geyser
    Cost to repair: R12000
    Luckily one call to Out Surance and all was repaired.
    Lesson Learned : Make sure you have tray underneath geyser!

Landlord phoned the plumber, and he says it was probably just dripping fast because it was still heating up (from being switched off for a couple of days). He says that it will drip fairly fast when heating, but very slowly otherwise, and to monitor it for a couple of days.

So far it seems like he's right - it wasn't dripping when I got home today. Hopefully it's all sorted.

...doesn't know

I think it's getting to hot... coz if the geyser it's self is dripping that could mean that the geyser is melting
    I'm new here...

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cathryn View Post
    Landlord phoned the plumber, and he says it was probably just dripping fast because it was still heating up (from being switched off for a couple of days). He says that it will drip fairly fast when heating, but very slowly otherwise, and to monitor it for a couple of days.

So far it seems like he's right - it wasn't dripping when I got home today. Hopefully it's all sorted.
    I smell a rat in the vicinity...
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

VOTE #ROCK FOR PRESIDENT