Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: CTI College Cape Town

Default CTI College Cape Town

Hi, I'm sure that this has been asked but need more info. My son has just completed Matric (I hope he passed) and wants to study IT. CTI in Cape Town offers the courses he wants to do, namely ITSE (IT Systems Engineering) or ITID (IT Internet Development). ITSE offers 2 programming languages and ITID one. The courses basically compress three years into 1 and he obtains a National Diploma in IT. He also receives credits towards an international diploma offered by a UK varsity. Has any had any dealings with CTI and does anyone in the IT business have any recommendations to make about study direction. Many Thanks.
    TonyA
    "Man proposes, God disposes" Anon
    --------------------------------

If he wants to study IT then send him to University if i can get in.

CTI are a bunch of sharks, and the stuff they teach isn't really any good anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Thanks for that. Unfortunately he does not have maths and science (higher grade) for university entrance.
    TonyA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyA View Post
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately he does not have maths and science (higher grade) for university entrance.
    That is unfortunate. What about tech? I went to CTI....Also would not recommend it at all.

Thanks for reply. According to the info I have at hand, the same course at the Tech is over three years (and lot cheaper) whereas CTI is condensed into 1 year. Any suggestions welcome.
    TonyA

Does anyone know of other colleges in Cape Town area that offer similar courses. I can't find much on google search.
    TonyA

Do not goto CTI. It's crap....

FYI. I went to CTI, didn't help me at all. I graduated with distinctions too. They didn't help me find placement. The student advisers are terrible. The "lecturers" were useless (old students) and it horribly overpriced. Most of the course material is outdated.

"He also receives credits towards an international diploma offered by a UK varsity." is a load of rubbish... Marketing information.... I've tried to travel this route and got ripped off.

Rather take the university / Tech route.

Does your son want to know how computers work, find it interesting and enjoyable to solve logic problems or does he like playing computer games? If the latter, don't waste your money.

About 90% of the people I met @ CTI had no interest or aptitude for IT... mostly their parents didn't know what todo with them and dumped them in a college....

You said your son wants to do IT? What does he want todo? programming? hardware engineer? network engineer? system administrator?
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

BCM, Thanks for reply. My son studied computer science at school so did a bit of programming. He basically plays games on PC but is OK at setting up networks etc. he wants to do IT System engineering but ultimate aim is game design. Personally I feel happier with Tech Route as well, but like the idea oc compressing three years into one. Any further suggestions from your side?
    TonyA

I would definitely suggest the Tech route.

He'll learn ALOT more there than at CTI, and being at tech looks better than being at CTI.
    I have said in a previous thread regarding CTI, that if I see CTI on a CV as the main "tertiary" education, I at the very least give the guy a REALLY hectic interview, or I just throw the CV away. I know I'm not the only IT person who does such a thing in interviews.

Captain Faptastic

I have been "Studying" part time at CTI for the last year and am not impressed at all.
    I think old people should be killed at birth

Game design as viable career without a seriously heavy maths and science background is going to be next to impossible. There are also very few game development studios in South Africa.

I choose CTI because I wanted to get out into the field as soon as possible. Experience is the key to a job not your qualification. If your son is a hard worker, I'd say study part time through UNISA and try get a training job (basically an internship with almost no pay) as soon as possible. Everybody knows a friend of a friend who can find him a job somewhere.

Otherwise 3 years @ tech will help him get his foot in the door...
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Thanks for all replies. Any further info would be appreciated. It looks like he will have to follow Tech Route. Thanks
    TonyA

A previous poster mentioned a college called VZAP. From internet they appear to be only in Durban and Guateng. Does any one know if they have an office in Cape Town?
    TonyA

Looking at CPUT courses, they don't seem to offer subjects as advanced as CTI. Any IT Gurus who qualified at CPUT care to comment?
    TonyA

CPUT?

Its not necessarily the content of the courses, but its how its taught, and its also the standing of the institution that are equally as important.

CTI's courses SEEM advanced, but they're not.. As a previous poster mentioned, they hire ex students to do the lecturing and such.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast