‘Appalling conditions’ at R150m housing project linked to Magashule’s daughter

schumi

Honorary Master
. Pensioners have had to use their grant money to install toilets. Some were forced to move into houses that had no doors. In one house, when you flush the toilet, sewage spills into the home.

It’s been a year since the community was moved from a nearby township to a controversial RDP housing project in the Free State and their houses still don’t have electricity or running water.

Residents say they are struggling to deal with the shocking conditions of their homes.

The Baken Park project was constructed by Unital Holding, a Chinese company, which is allegedly partly owned by Ace Magashule’s daughter.

Residents say that years after moving to the area north of Bethlehem, they are still living in incomplete houses that still lack basic amenities.

The Free State human settlements department came under fire last year when it was revealed that it awarded contracts worth R150 million to the Chinese company in which Magashule’s daughter, Thoko Malembe, allegedly owns a 30% stake.

An elderly resident, Khehla Maseko, who spoke to City Press on Thursday said “it’s been a year since we moved into this area and we still don’t have electricity or running water”.
More at : https://city-press.news24.com/News/appalling-conditions-at-r150m-housing-project-linked-to-magashules-daughter-20190322

Sollie

Executive Member
budget to build R10m

budget for personal bling R140m

fukk the peasants
Unfortunately that's what happens. I've seen some of these RDP houses I would not even let my dog sleep in (hello Julius) for fear of safety. It's clear the people building these haven't got a clue. This is no different.

In this case project management obviously lacks. Looking at that pic of the bathroom, it's clear that piping has been removed - just below the bottom left saddle. But then again, if there was a cistern, there would have been holes in the plaster where it was attached which there is not. Ouch for the poor bath corner! But looking at that workmanship, shocking.

Off course criminals are blamed. Some of it probably true, but not all. However a good excuse. Anything that's not welded down on bolts into concrete, is considered mobile and everybody's property.

Sean008

Expert Member
And there will be zero repercussions for the guilty ones, once again.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Last edited:

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
And there will be zero repercussions for the guilty ones, once again.
No, not as long as the ANC is in control of the country. Hence the reason they cannot afford to lose power nor will they ever - at any means.

konfab

Honorary Master
RDP houses are nothing but the ANC enacting their power fantasies of state controlled housing.
150m randelas for 1050 houses. That is about R142k per house.

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/exposed-magashule-and-daughter-in-r150m-rdp-housing-scandal-20180328

This is how the program should work:
Plots in the area are hooked up to the electricity and water grid, title deeds for each plot is given to the recipient and a voucher for an NHBRC builder to build the house is provided. The recipient can then either use a number of pre-approved plans or use their own plan.

Then if they want to, they can sell the plot and move somewhere else and build there.

Sollie

Executive Member
Oh, fsck off. A broken link was posted, it was questioned, I merely posted the correct link.
So I made hay. Unlike other Saffers, I don't believe in shooting the messenger, rather see things for what they are or might be. ;)

... and to be honest, I thought it hilarious and apt. Actually Pondered (pun intended) if it was deliberate. :laugh:

(and I still think it would have been appropriate if the link was correct, but now brilliant and apt, very funny).

Last edited: