‘Death taxi’ passenger speaks out

schumi

Honorary Master
A woman who works in retail and was a passenger in the taxi that allegedly knocked down two cyclists, pulling one under its wheels and dragging him to his death, has spoken out about the traumatic experience.
“I am still deeply traumatised and am battling to make sense of what happened. I am also worried about the family of the cyclist who died and their need for closure, wanting to know what happened that day,” she told TimesLIVE.
She asked that her identity be withheld.
Her desire to speak followed news reports on the tragedy that claimed the life of Johannesburg businessman Alex Otto and the subsequent court appearance of taxi driver Bongomusa Wellington Ngcobo, 28, who is facing charges of culpable homicide and drunk driving.
The woman has not been asked for a statement and left the scene in a hurry to get to work after the accident. She was badly rattled by the events but did not know at that stage that Otto had been killed.

She boarded a taxi in the Joburg CBD early on October 3, heading for the Morning Glen Mall in Kelvin Drive, Sandton.
“I was on my way to work and the driver was drunk and angry and speeding. Before we even left town he had issues, and was speaking in Zulu. I don’t know what his problem was, but he yelled at a guy who was walking in the road,” she said.
She said she and other passengers were uncomfortable as the taxi was littered with empty beer bottles and it appeared as though the driver had been drinking through the night.
“When we got close to the Sasol garage in Kelvin we saw there were two traffic officers there. The driver started telling us he doesn’t have a licence and his disc is expired and he started to go faster and jumped a red traffic light,” she said.

More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2021-10-18-death-taxi-passenger-speaks-out/

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Personally I think if someone dies like the cyclist and the taxi driver was drunk, then the charge should be murder not manslaughter. You operated a machine over a ton in weight while impaired knowing that your reflexes are slowed and took someones life = Murder.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Personally I think if someone dies like the cyclist and the taxi driver was drunk, then the charge should be murder not manslaughter. You operated a machine over a ton in weight while impaired knowing that your reflexes are slowed and took someones life = Murder.
That looks more likely to happen to this guy if all that can be proven.

grok

Honorary Master
That looks more likely to happen to this guy if all that can be proven.
The article says he's been charged with drunk driving so there's no reason to doubt the rest of her testimony..

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member

I haven't read the original article, on the flipside of the coin I assume the cyclist wasn't being a retard and occupying a third of the lane obstructing vehicle traffic.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Even if the cyclist was riding like an idiot, that does not justify running him over and dragging him for multiple KM until he is dead.

Well I'm not saying his death is justified, or justifying collisions of any sort. But if he was riding like a total idiot, that's just putting yourself in a situation to be harmed. Like I said I didn't read the original article so I don't know the circumstances of the accident, I've encountered some cyclists tend to cycle on the road like they own it (of course that goes for other road users/drivers/pedestrians).

**** off.

What? Is it safe to assume the taxi mounted the curb and ran him over. The cyclist must have been a rational person and not occupy the middle of the lane, putting themselves in a fairly risky position of being impacted against by a drunk driver/speeding driver/inexperienced or learner driver/<insert whatever cause for collision>.

eg2505

Honorary Master
this is what happens when you put the lives of millions in a unregulated industry.
I mean taxi drivers don't need any special tests, don't need special vehicles, don't really need anything like Giant speedometers up front that wail over 100KM/H, (Hong Kong)

you pretty much buy a taxi, hire some guys who can barely stand up straight, and let them fight among each other with drivers for routes and fares. and collect the money (in cash, tax free)
complete anarchy, and then you get stories like this, so is it really the drivers fault?

or the lack of any regulations, and laws and rules and frameworks, that create accidents like this

TheChamp

Honorary Master
this is what happens when you put the lives of millions in a unregulated industry.
I mean taxi drivers don't need any special tests, don't need special vehicles, don't really need anything like Giant speedometers up front that wail over 100KM/H, (Hong Kong)

you pretty much buy a taxi, hire some guys who can barely stand up straight, and let them fight among each other with drivers for routes and fares. and collect the money (in cash, tax free)
complete anarchy, and then you get stories like this, so is it really the drivers fault?

or the lack of any regulations, and laws and rules and frameworks, that create accidents like this
If only this was all about taxis but this is SA style of doing things, if it wasn't a taxi it would be some drunk motorist.

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
If only this was all about taxis but this SA style of doing things, if it wasn't a taxi it would be some drink motorist.
but why does it have to be this way?
oh yes I remember, because if people were smarter, and better educated, the ANC would not have the power they already do.

so there is method to their madness, and by letting things go on the way they do, they stay in power.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Yea so lets make something very clear here, I'm not saying there was any right to run over anyone in this situation. Death however doesn't absolve you of the [bad] decisions you made.
So lets be clear. If you drive home at 6:30 pm after work, and you are shot and killed in an attempted hi-jacking, well, **** you, that's a result of your [bad] choice to drive a car in south africa.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yea so lets make something very clear here, I'm not saying there was any right to run over anyone in this situation. Death however doesn't absolve you of the [bad] decisions you made.

The bad decision you made is not to read the article, so we can argue with you all we want, no absolving.