‘Free Jacob Zuma’ protests take fiery turn as 25 trucks burnt in KZN

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
This gives a carefully considered analysis of the attempted insurrection. There were some thought-provoking points I hadn't considered before. For example, as someone who wants likes law and order, I wanted the police to actively engage (i.e arrest and/or shoot) the protesters but hadn't considered this is precisely what the Zuma faction wanted:

How key points became a thing.

Cray

Honorary Master
You don't train for an easier way, you won't be afforded the easier way in a combat situation. Doing things the hard way won't leave you unprepared & demotivated in dire situations as you are mentally & physically conditioned for it
Agree 100%, there is an expression..

The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in combat

Physical exhaustion takes a a mental. toll, tired people make bad choices, which is why physical training is considered vitally important by armed forces around the world.

Thugscub

Expert Member
Well not quite 'hired' but i get what you mean. It forms part of your training on a regular basis and is used with other exercises to assess ones fitness level (readiness) over time.
In basic training you would do fitness tests regularly, but after that, depending on your unit you would be subjected to them a few times a year at least.
There is/was a minimum standard and it varies between units and there operational requirements.
For example, frontline or battle ready troops would be expected to do the run with full kit (in your combat gear with your kit and weapon in at least 12 minutes) The term used was staaldak webbing and geweer.
Some more elite units might expect you to do it in 10 minutes or under.
For office staff they would still do fitness tests a few times a year but in PT gear so much easier but the 12 minute time was from what I remember the benchmark that was required.

It is difficult to believe this trooper qualified over any obstacle course during training, not being able to climb into a truck.
Basics, 2nd Phase then Coin Ops, the 2,4 km got left far behind when following the chevron tracks with the bushman trackers. Up to 30km a day running in the beach sand of Owamboland with the Ratels 20km back to stop bomb shelling.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
This gives a carefully considered analysis of the attempted insurrection. There were some thought-provoking points I hadn't considered before. For example, as someone who wants likes law and order, I wanted the police to actively engage (i.e arrest and/or shoot) the protesters but hadn't considered this is precisely what the Zuma faction wanted:

In another survey, 92% of respondents felt that legal action against perceived instigators such as the Zuma children would be justified

Still waiting for that one.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Lastly to just put this in perspective, I'm not laughing at the trooper, it is probably not their fault.
We have great troops and whilst the military may be a shadow of what it was in the past that is understandable considering the times now and then.
Also, in order to deploy there may be many that have been called up that are not full time, still though minimum requirements need to apply for safety and operational reasons.

The brass need to answer for the state of readiness, reaction times or lack thereof. The egg is on their faces, not this trooper.
Dude..... the times don't matter. Either you are a soldier with enough respect for your uniform to be combat ready..... or you are a rent-a-troop only there to leech off the system.

If you get so fat you can't climb into a truck even with help.... have you been chained to a desk for decades or something?

JangoFett

All things considered, the country has dodged a massive bullet. The fact that communities rather than government officials (army, cops etc.) rallied to defend against the insurrection is a boon beyond description. Not to mention that the RET agenda is now the position of political pariahs. Even Ramaposer will have to work hard to cock-up the political fortune that has landed in his lap.

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Dude..... the times don't matter. Either you are a soldier with enough respect for your uniform to be combat ready..... or you are a rent-a-troop only there to leech off the system.

If you get so fat you can't climb into a truck even with help.... have you been chained to a desk for decades or something?
From the troops I have seen on the ground, as well as the ones that have deployed into Africa and recently Mozambique they look perfectly neat and fit. I'm not going to throw the whole military's under the bus because of one or a handful of individuals that don't meet muster. My glass is more than half full and I was delighted when the military's rolled into town a few weeks ago.

I am also questioning what that troop was doing there and giving the benefit of the doubt to the perhaps its not her main duty.
And yes I have been chained to a desk for some time, I did my military's service over 30 years ago.

George Netherby

Expert Member