‘Free Jacob Zuma’ protests take fiery turn as 25 trucks burnt in KZN

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Definitely not unexpected?

Government had to come to Sasria’s assistance with an allocation of R11-billion in the October adjustment budget after the claims it received depleted its coffers (and more will follow); R3.9-billion of this was to be disbursed in the current financial year.

The police service was widely criticised for its failure to protect businesses, owners and staff against the violent looters.

Sasria is a state-owned company that provides cover against damage caused by special risks such as politically motivated malicious acts, riots, strikes, terrorism and public disorder. It stated in November that it had received 14 051 claims, valued at R32-billion.

It just smells of even more weird scandals. It just seems too high, I know the unrest was wide spread and was in the middle of this crap, but 14,051 claims. That's a lot of damage.

Last edited:

Oldfut

Expert Member
Government had to come to Sasria’s assistance with an allocation of R11-billion in the October adjustment budget after the claims it received depleted its coffers (and more will follow); R3.9-billion of this was to be disbursed in the current financial year.

The police service was widely criticised for its failure to protect businesses, owners and staff against the violent looters.

Sasria is a state-owned company that provides cover against damage caused by special risks such as politically motivated malicious acts, riots, strikes, terrorism and public disorder. It stated in November that it had received 14 051 claims, valued at R32-billion.

It just smells of even more weird scandals. It just seems too high, I know the unrest was wide spread and was in the middle of this crap, but 14,051 claims. That's a lot of damage.
I would be interested to know how much loot SASRIA collected over the many years it existed and where it went, particularly if reinsurance was taken. This is because for a long time there were very few claims but I guess most businesses and contracts took SASRIA insurance. Then came Zuma!

Neuk_

Executive Member
Government Tax Payers had to come to Sasria’s assistance with an allocation of R11-billion in the October adjustment budget after the claims it received depleted its coffers (and more will follow); R3.9-billion of this was to be disbursed in the current financial year.

FTFY

Kosmik

Honorary Master

Folks who don't live in Durban have no idea. Dunno about Jhb but we have A LOT of dammage. TBH, I don't know if 11B even covers it.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I would be interested to know how much loot SASRIA collected over the many years it existed and where it went, particularly if reinsurance was taken. This is because for a long time there were very few claims but I guess most businesses and contracts took SASRIA insurance. Then came Zuma!
The Zuma riots is just one big incident but I am sure many claims have been coming in over the years, properties and cars are always damaged in protests and people claim for that.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Folks who don't live in Durban have no idea. Dunno about Jhb but we have A LOT of dammage. TBH, I don't know if 11B even covers it.
I was there, but I'm just shocked about the amount of claims, not the cost of the damage. Could our company have claimed due to loss of business during the 1-2 weeks we had to shut down?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I was there, but I'm just shocked about the amount of claims, not the cost of the damage. Could our company have claimed due to loss of business during the 1-2 weeks we had to shut down?
SARIA I think is physical damage, not revenue loss. Could be wrong though.

Oldfut

Expert Member
The Zuma riots is just one big incident but I am sure many claims have been coming in over the years, properties and cars are always damaged in protests and people claim for that.
Maybe you miss the point; let's see the numbers.