‘I’m disappointed’: DA’s head of elections Moakes quits ‘toxic’ party

Excalibur

Expert Member
The DA’s head of elections Jonathan Moakes has formally announced his resignation from the party.

City Press understands that Moakes had tendered his resignation months before the May 8 polls. He had agreed with the party leadership that he would move on after wrapping up the election campaign.

The DA were the biggest losers of the 2019 general elections, dropping to 21% from the 22% the party had garnered in 2014. A significant share of the more than 400 000 votes lost by the party appears to have gone to the Freedom Front Plus, who experienced significant growth.
Link.

Excalibur

Expert Member
The DA reminds me of the current state of the Conservative Party in the UK...wandering aimlessly about, trying to please all sides, no real principles, not sure what the party stands for...
It seems they are going to split into two parties, the pro-transformation and the anti-transformation.

Excalibur

Expert Member
Eh its more than side that believes race should be a proxy for disadvantage and the side that believes it shouldn't be.

There isn't really an "anti-transformation" faction.
Semantics, I can tell you the people who left DA for Freedom Front plus oppose transformation.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Some people's version of transformation is to leave everything as it is and hope things somehow sort themselves out.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Some people's version of transformation is to leave everything as it is and hope things somehow sort themselves out.
Some people do not understand how the free market work. The only way you going to help all the disadvantaged people in South Africa is to get the economy growing. No amount of racist laws is going to achieve that.

thechamp

Honorary Master
You realise that the DA asked Zille to campaign for them for the elections? She's good enough for them to pull voters and then as soon as it's over she's unwelcome.
I am not aware but Tony Leon was also on the campaign trail, no problem with that. The problem is that the Madam, unlike Tony is just too much of an irritant, just like Zuma.

Zille: DA wou my uitwerk

Rapport

Anyone with access know what this article is about ?

Whenever they think that they have "JUICY" bits -- UP go the paywalls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I'd also like to read the entire article but from what I've seen on Twitter, the DA offered a ticket to Helen to leave the country (paid for by the DA) over that colonialism tweet. Ridiculous.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Yes, I'd also like to read the entire article but from what I've seen on Twitter, the DA offered a ticket to Helen to leave the country (paid for by the DA) over that colonialism tweet. Ridiculous.
:ROFL: A ticket to leave the country? Is that some figure of speech?

surface

Executive Member
:ROFL: A ticket to leave the country? Is that some figure of speech?
:p but seriously it will be a real loss to SA - she is probably the only one left in DA (among leaders I mean) who fought against apartheid when she could have just carried on with her life (and fought the evil forces on myBB later on; like many do here?)

Last edited:

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Semantics, I can tell you the people who left DA for Freedom Front plus oppose transformation.
And I can also tell you that is not true. Some left because they can’t stand people shooting their mouths off before the facts are in. Alienating the people you say you represent is not on.

I almost did that, then wasted my vote on the ZACP. I was not going to waste it on the DA though. My other alternative was UDM. So not racist, as you label me, but gatvol.

But carry on. Your attitude is exactly the same as those you despise. It adds absolutely no value.

Last edited: