• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

‘I Fundamentally Believe That My Time at Reddit Made the World a Worse Place’

Neoprod

Honorary Master
A conversation with former Reddit product head Dan McComas on the problems of growth as a metric and what Twitter is doing wrong.

Over the last few months, Select All has interviewed more than a dozen prominent technology figures about what has gone wrong with the contemporary internet for a project called “
The Internet Apologizes.” We’re now publishing lengthier transcripts of each individual interview. This interview features Dan McComas, the former senior vice-president for product of Reddit and the founder and CEO of Imzy, a community-focused platform.

You can find other interviews from this series here.

Reddit started a couple of years after Facebook, and it’s super giant, and the kind of thing that you were present for was the challenge of building a platform that can accommodate a really large and sprawling set of communities, but at the same time make sure that it’s able to maintain community standards. You worked at it, I know, from the product end. I’m interested in hearing a bit about how you came to work at Reddit, and the questions you were thinking about.
I came to work at Reddit through Reddit Gifts. I started Reddit Gifts, and the intention there was just really to see if we could get people to do nice things for other people. That was it. It was just kind of a concept that we came up with and then ran with it. It ended up being pretty impactful, I think, to the overall community. Ultimately, it was too much time for us to manage, so we were going to shut it down, and then Reddit acquired us.

Cius

Expert Member
Nice to get that honest and blunt a view. Thought provoking for community based sites that enable the nastier side of human nature to grow. I am not on Dischord so I did not know about the white supremacy thing growing there and eventually leading to deaths. Scary stuff.

Hemps

Executive Member
I bumbled across some Telegram channels as well with really nasty stuff going on, quick exit was made.
But apparently its become a pirates paradise on there as well.