‘It will feel like 50C’: W. Cape set to be hottest place ON EARTH tomorrow

Ninja

the original ninja

Capetonians came out in their numbers in extremely hot weather on Saturday to cool down in the sea, including a few "creative" nudists.

The popular Strandfontein Pavilion started filling up at 06:00 as scores of beachgoers flocked to get a premium spot close to the sea and massive tidal pool.

Beachgoers spoke to News24 about how they were keeping cool in the scorching weather.

Washiela Abass, 50, said she had planned on doing her washing on Saturday, but quickly changed her mind when family members told her it was going to be over 30 degrees Celsius at the weekend.

azbob

Honorary Master

Capetonians came out in their numbers in extremely hot weather on Saturday to cool down in the sea, including a few "creative" nudists.

The popular Strandfontein Pavilion started filling up at 06:00 as scores of beachgoers flocked to get a premium spot close to the sea and massive tidal pool.

Beachgoers spoke to News24 about how they were keeping cool in the scorching weather.

Washiela Abass, 50, said she had planned on doing her washing on Saturday, but quickly changed her mind when family members told her it was going to be over 30 degrees Celsius at the weekend.

Why would you go outside in hot weather when it’s cooler to stay inside?

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
+1 for aircon

Just had some lovely Midea split units installed. The difference between inside and outside is unbelievable. Didn't think you could get a decent Daikin inverter for 16k. Is it a 9000btu?
Yes, 9000btu and had it installed last year January.

The day they installed it was really hot and the AC could not get the room cold enough. We thought we would need to upgrade to 12000btu. Then they asked how was my bedroom ceiling insulation - it's patchy (thin insulation and shifted leaving uncovered patches).

Redid ceiling insulation with correct thickness and I also tinted bedroom window.

Aircon runs like a dream now. Keeps half the house cool if I turn it on early in the morning.

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
So Oudtshoorn is going to strike 43 C today, I'm absolutely ecstatic...

@Other Pineapple Smurf My prayers have been answered for an AC, we're going to install this week!
My mom's exact words to me last night: "Nee, dis nou sommer kak. Ek het vir jou pa gese ek gaan Maandag aircons laat insit. Ons hoef nie so te suffer nie.".
Backstory: My mom got quotations last year in the summer to have ACs installed (after years of me begging), dad halts the process and says we should wait until it's cheaper. It's been a whole year later and it's finally gonna happen...

Meneer, ek gaan nou 'n AC kry, meneer!

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

The day they installed it was really hot and the AC could not get the room cold enough. We thought we would need to upgrade to 12000btu. Then they asked how was my bedroom ceiling insulation - it's patchy (thin insulation and shifted leaving uncovered patches).

Redid ceiling insulation with correct thickness and I also tinted bedroom window.

Aircon runs like a dream now. Keeps half the house cool if I turn it on early in the morning.
I have zero insulation and that is a killer here, I went last week to go buy but the 130mm thickness Isotherm I am looking for is in short supply everywhere. Can get 50mm but I wanna do it right first time.
Will just wait a few months when there is stock again and less demand and then just do lounge and bedroom as they get the full midday and afternoon sun. Rest of flat isnt bad at all.

Only then if I am still dying in summer will I get an inverter air con and go grid tied, I will be happy with the 1.5KW setup

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
I have zero insulation and that is a killer here, I went last week to go buy but the 130mm thickness Isotherm I am looking for is in short supply everywhere. Can get 50mm but I wanna do it right first time.
Will just wait a few months when there is stock again and less demand and then just do lounge and bedroom as they get the full midday and afternoon sun. Rest of flat isnt bad at all.

Only then if I am still dying in summer will I get an inverter air con and go grid tied, I will be happy with the 1.5KW setup

Order from Buco, old WMiller.

We are supposed to use 155mm but that's impossible to source. I've used 130mm and my daughter's room went from being an oven to the coolest room.

Only done half the house, need to do the remaining half this year.

Also have to insulate my Kleinmond flat as I could feel the heat radiating from the ceiling Friday night.

Oh, and when you get it, ignore installation instructions. Naaiers give you wrong DiY instructions as they tell you to cut using a scissor along the length of the roll.

Not only takes an hour per roll, screws up your hands but you sit with waste that's hard to use.

Correct installer instructions is to tear it across the width to size. Not only is it quick, 10 seconds, but you sit with smaller panels (1x1m instead of 1x5m). This speeds up installation ten fold and minimal, if any, waste.

Where it took an entire day to a room, it's now 1 hour including vacuuming dust in ceiling.

Pineapple Smurf

Order from Buco, old WMiller.

We are supposed to use 155mm but that's impossible to source. I've used 130mm and my daughter's room went from being an oven to the coolest room.

Only done half the house, need to do the remaining half this year.

Also have to insulate my Kleinmond flat as I could feel the heat radiating from the ceiling Friday night.

Oh, and when you get it, ignore installation instructions. Naaiers give you wrong DiY instructions as they tell you to cut using a scissor along the length of the roll.

Not only takes an hour per roll, screws up your hands but you sit with waste that's hard to use.

Correct installer instructions is to tear it across the width to size. Not only is it quick, 10 seconds, but you sit with smaller panels (1x1m instead of 1x5m). This speeds up installation ten fold and minimal, if any, waste.

Where it took an entire day to a room, it's now 1 hour including vacuuming dust in ceiling.
Awesome, and i see they do free delivery. Excellent. I almost bought 1 roll last week when I was at Builders in Paarden Eiland but then I saw the size of it and there was no way I was going to strap that thing to my bike and ride home in the South Easter

airborne

Honorary Master

Good roof insulation makes an amazing difference, it almost makes the heat bearable without an AC and if anything makes a huge difference in how much you need to run the AC and hence big electricity savings.

Pineapple Smurf

I am loving todays weather compared to yesterday
Just after 11am now and I have a soaked towel around my neck and back and there is a breeze blowing.
I almost have goose bumps
It is currently 31 inside and the real feel for me is 21 right now
It can stay like this all day

Dan C

Honorary Master
Just after 11am now and I have a soaked towel around my neck and back and there is a breeze blowing.
76928-67617.jpg

Fred07

Expert Member
Oh jirre you funny lol.....I can picture it hahahahaha