‘Marry-your-rapist’ bill proposed to be introduced by lawmakers in Turkey

ponder

Honorary Master

‘Marry-your-rapist’ bill proposed to be introduced by lawmakers in Turkey

A law which would allow men accused of having sex with girls who are under 18 to avoid punishment if they marry their victims is set to be introduced to parliament in Turkey.

The controversial so-called “marry-your-rapist” bill, which lawmakers are planning to introduce to Turkish parliament at the end of January, has sparked fury among women’s rights campaigners in the country.

Critics argue the legislation, which the opposition Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) is urging the government to axe, not only legitimises child marriage and statutory rape but also paves the way for child abuse and sexual exploitation.

A similar bill was defeated in Turkey in 2016 after national and global outrage. The legislation would have only pardoned men if they had sex without “force or threat”.

United Nations agencies warned the bill would generate a landscape of impunity for child abuse and leave victims vulnerable to experiencing additional mistreatment and distress from their assailants.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Wow.....

So you rape a 16 year old girl, and to get out of a jail sentence, you marry her?

That is all kinds of messed up.

Cray

Honorary Master
So does the victim not get a choice about the marriage either...?

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Hmmm... In Turkey where we know who pulls the strings this kinda thing is most likely well in line with Shariah laws...not sure... :unsure:

Either way...gives a new meaning to Turkish guys wanting to jump into marriage ...cold turkey and all...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Wow.....

So you rape a 16 year old girl, and to get out of a jail sentence, you marry her?

That is all kinds of messed up.
And you get to carry on legally raping her.

I'd love to know what the people behind this law are actually thinking ?

The only thing I can think of is that she would have to give consent to the marriage ? but I don't think that in their society it works like that.

ponder

Honorary Master
Them Europeans hey
Turkey is 'mostly' in western asia, not part of the eu (yet), bad human rights, 97% islam. I reckon that 97% islam thing has a role to play here, I also hope they don't get admitted into the eu.

EADC

Executive Member
Turkey is 'mostly' in western asia, not part of the eu (yet), bad human rights, 97% islam. I reckon that 97% islam thing has a role to play here, I also hope they don't get admitted into the eu.
It's a joke