‘Marry-your-rapist’ bill proposed to be introduced by lawmakers in Turkey

rambo919

Executive Member
Is statutory rape with a 12y old possible? The laws dont specify age of consent.
I do wonder how many clever critics actually read the proposed bill and connected legislation, it might also include a minimum age. I don't actually know but it would make sense.

Not knowing Turkish law in any way I don't even know if they make the distinction between rape and statutory rape.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
I do wonder how many clever critics actually read the proposed bill and connected legislation, it might also include a minimum age. I don't actually know but it would make sense.

Not knowing Turkish law in any way I don't even know if they make the distinction between rape and statutory rape.
The issue is not the law itself which is prevalent in many countries but the abuse of the law, like this one:
Hacisoftaoglu told DW that leaving such questions open to interpretation could prove dangerous for women. She cited Turkey's high-profile "Shame Case" in 2004, in which a 13-year-old girl was sold into prostitution in the southeastern city of Mardin and was forced to sleep with at least 26 men, some of whom were government employees.

During the case, defendants argued the girl gave consent because she did not resist their advances and did not inform police afterwards - and therefore they could not be convicted of rape.

The case was one of the first to be tried after Turkey's sexual assault code was aligned with EU standards, which requires a minimum punishment of 10 years for such acts. Yet defendants were tried under older legislation and received 2-5-year sentences, the shortest allowed at the time, for good behavior in court.

rambo919

Executive Member
The issue is not the law itself which is prevalent in many countries but the abuse of the law, like this one:

That's worlds apart from the odd case of seduction of minors. Obviously no 13jr old can possibly negotiate from a position of strength in such a position and anyone in his right mind would see that.

On a personal note I'd even charge the lawyers with something for even making that argument.

BTW the wiki is extremely biased just from a cursory reading, the editors clearly are radical feminists or something.

grok

Honorary Master
So, anyone knows when we're going to be allowed to propose like them?

Asking for a friend of course..

FrankCastle

Executive Member
That's worlds apart from the odd case of seduction of minors. Obviously no 13jr old can possibly negotiate from a position of strength in such a position and anyone in his right mind would see that.

On a personal note I'd even charge the lawyers with something for even making that argument.

BTW the wiki is extremely biased just from a cursory reading, the editors clearly are radical feminists or something.
So whats the criteria since you've already assumed a 13y old cannot negotiate and be fully aware of her actions.
How about a very conservative, ignorant and shy 21y old?

Another problem is whats stopping a man from issuing his 3 talaqs after marrying his victim, or exercising his right to practice temporary marriage (mutah)

rambo919

Executive Member
So whats the criteria since you've already assumed a 13y old cannot negotiate and be fully aware of her actions.
How about a very conservative, ignorant and shy 21y old?

Another problem is whats stopping a man from issuing his 3 talaqs after marrying his victim, or exercising his right to practice temporary marriage (mutah)
You are mixing arguments here. You cannot directly compare obviously compelled prostitution with consensual romantic trysts. The first is a crime and the latter is hormonal stupidity.

Generally 15-16 would be a good minimum age.

I have no idea what 3 talags are or how marriage can possibly be temporary without stopping to be marriage.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
You are mixing arguments here. You cannot directly compare obviously compelled prostitution with consensual romantic trysts. The first is a crime and the latter is hormonal stupidity.

Generally 15-16 would be a good minimum age.

I have no idea what 3 talags are or how marriage can possibly be temporary without stopping to be marriage.
Are you an expert in these matters?

TysonRoux

Executive Member

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
Why? It must surely depend on the age of the adult and the level of maturity of the other party. What if he's 21 and she's 16?
Imagine you have a sixteen year old daughter and she wants to marry and pomp a 21 year old.

Just consult your feelings in reaction to that. Do you feel ikky? Do you feel positive and optimistic?

Let that be your guide

rambo919

Executive Member
Imagine you have a sixteen year old daughter and she wants to marry and pomp a 21 year old.

Just consult your feelings in reaction to that. Do you feel ikky? Do you feel positive and optimistic?

Let that be your guide
Cultural differences..... a hundred years ago whites did that too and no one developed emotional breakdowns over it.

At 19 unmarried woman were considered old maids.

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
Nonsense, there is no one moral code for everyone in all cultures.... unless you wish to force your religious beliefs upon others.
You aren't saying anything with this diatribe you keep going on. You are only saying that there is a difference. "They are different religion so we can't judge". Absolute nonsense. I don't see any justification that it is the right thing to do from their perspective or mine.

I don't care what the Turks think, I care what fellow forumites think. So kindly participate in that debate instead of telling everyone what we already know the Turks think. It is extremely boring.

rambo919

Executive Member
You aren't saying anything with this diatribe you keep going on. You are only saying that there is a difference. "They are different religion so we can't judge". Absolute nonsense. I don't see any justification that it is the right thing to do from their perspective or mine.

I don't care what the Turks think, I care what fellow forumites think. So kindly participate in that debate instead of telling everyone what we already know the Turks think. It is extremely boring.
Not what I said at all, try again.

I said your moral standards are part of your religion which you try to impose on others.

I also said that they are of a different culture, you have no right to impose anything on them externally especially considering the geographical distance.

I repeat, the idea of a universal moral code is a religious way of thinking not a scientific one.