WHILE ANC bigwigs are mulling postponing the Western Cape 9th elective conference, provincial party bosses remained adamant that it should go ahead, fanning doubts about its tentative path to reform.
Plans to go to conference on the weekend of August 31 are marred by snags which include allegations of “branch theft” (buying votes and inflating membership numbers) and fiscal woes.
Co-ordinator of the Interim Provincial Committee (IPC), Lerumo Kalako, also revealed the party had “financial constraints” as businesses and donors no longer wanted to be associated with the ANC.
Kalako said they could no longer host events as they once did to raise funds.
“We struggle with money for our programmes because donors are no longer keen,” he told Weekend Argus, adding that “we usually get money from business, we must declare and put the name of that business in our books”.
“Businesses do not want us, they choose to not contribute anything, that puts a constraint on the party’s finances.”
He, however, said so far the party was able to pay its bills including salaries but some staff members were on the Luthuli House payroll.
“There is no organisation that doesn’t run on resources, especially finance, you have to run many programmes and they all need money, even paying for rent, telephone lines and water all these things need money,“ Kalako said.