‘Top secret’ nuclear plan ducks scrutiny

Syco

Well, personally, I would like to see the government/Eskom get a move on and get these nuclear plants built as soon as possible. I really don't see why a bunch of 'Tree Huggers', who represent a small minority, should hold up the implementation of this important step.
The 'secrecy' is more in the mind of the media because they feel it to be their right to be informed about everything.
There are important business decisions that have to be made and a certain amount of discretion has to exercised. It is given that 'connected' people will be lining their pockets and the media can play an important role here by shining a 'bright light' on anything that doesn't seem right but all this drama about Nuclear Power is getting a little stale. There is irrefutable proof that coal powered electricity causes more long term harm on people than Nuclear ever will so lets get on with it!
Just to put some perspective to the inborn fear that people have about 'Nuclear' - some years ago I was sitting across the table from a senior Russian KGB agent (Colonel ...) and we were discussing the protests that were going on in America about the fact that a Nasa deep space probe (Cassini) was going to be nuclear powered and I asked him why there were never any similar protests in Russia about their massive use of nuclear. He laughed and said that they considered the misinformation program that they launched in the USA and Britain, to brainwash people there about the dangers of all things nuclear, in the 50's and 60's to be one of their greatest triumphs as it had allowed them (the Russians) to push ahead unhindered and go on to lead in the nuclear 'race'!

Last edited:

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Well, personally, I would like to see the government/Eskom get a move on and get these nuclear plants built as soon as possible. I really don't see why a bunch of 'Tree Huggers', who represent a small minority, should hold up the implementation of this important step.
The 'secrecy' is more in the mind of the media because they feel it to be their right to be informed about everything.
There are important business decisions that have to be made and a certain amount of discretion has to exercised. It is given that 'connected' people will be lining their pockets and the media can play an important role here by shining a 'bright light' on anything that doesn't seem right but all this drama about Nuclear Power is getting a little stale. There is irrefutable proof that coal powered electricity causes more long term harm on people than Nuclear ever will so lets get on with it!
Just to put some perspective to the inborn fear that people have about 'Nuclear' - some years ago I was sitting across the table from a senior Russian KGB agent (Colonel ...) and we were discussing the protests that were going on in America about the fact that a Nasa deep space probe (Cassini) was going to be nuclear powered and I asked him why there were never any similar protests in Russia about their massive use of nuclear. He laughed and said that they considered the misinformation program that they launched in the USA and Britain, to brainwash people there about the dangers of all things nuclear, in the 50's and 60's to be one of their greatest triumphs as it had allowed them (the Russians) to push ahead unhindered and go on to lead in the nuclear 'race'!

I see more noise happening about the Nuclear part of this deal than the transparency part.

People need to consider what the actual problem.
Nuclear is fine... we have been relying on it for years, the transparency is the problem.

bekdik

Honorary Master
I see more noise happening about the Nuclear part of this deal than the transparency part.

People need to consider what the actual problem.
Nuclear is fine... we have been relying on it for years, the transparency is the problem.

I see more happening with the deal part. A 20 year 10 trillion rand contract exonerating the supplier from any responsibility is not acceptable. Neither can we afford the money nor the risk.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I see more happening with the deal part. A 20 year 10 trillion rand contract exonerating the supplier from any responsibility is not acceptable. Neither can we afford the money nor the risk.

Problem is I think we have already signed our lives away. We need the power and this deal needs to happen

bekdik

Honorary Master
Problem is I think we have already signed our lives away. We need the power and this deal needs to happen

We need to look at al the alternatives rather than signing up for a no deal option. With that size spend there are going to be many options and I'm not convinced that thos who looked into this deal are competent to take a decision of this size. Their competency, both technical and political, has been shown to be very wanting.

Last edited:

jondo_h

I don't think the issue is so much that we're going nuclear. It's more about how Zuma and his cronies are going to steal huge amounts of our money to get this deal done, and somebody has to pay that R1TN. It won't just grow on trees. So expect higher taxes, and less service delivery because all other departments will be constrained by tighter budgets.