’Pay R1 500 before we treat you,’ private ambulances tell road accident victims

Currantly

Expert Member
DURBAN - Private ambulances are demanding car-crash victims show proof of medical aid or pay cash upfront if they want to be treated and taken to hospital.
The KwaZulu-Natal Private Ambulance Association acknowledged that that was the case, adding that it was brought about by the Road Accident Fund refusing to pay private ambulances for the services rendered.

The ambulance association said the RAF’s refusal to pay for it services, which, according to reports, is in excess of R5 million, has meant that poor people without medical aid or cash are not being treated timeously at accident scenes.

“It saddens us to witness what has become the attitude of most private ambulances when it comes to rendering emergency medical assistance to road accident victims on our roads,” said Mario Booysen, the secretary-general of the association.

Linky

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Well, not to be the ***hole in the room but what do they expect to do? Medical services aren't cheap, and its quite frankly the fault of the government for letting the public services degenerate.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Had a similar experience when I needed to rush my wife to a private hospital because the government hospital didn't have a doctor available. Only one out of the 3 private hospitals was willing to help me.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am surprised how much attention is placed on the private ambulance services. You have a right to the public ambulance services, HOWEVER...

Availability is an issue. The governments simply don’t have enough ambulances. Even when you dial
10177 (landline) / 112 (mobile) you may still be redirected to private emergency services. You don’t always get to choose who you are actually calling, how many emergencies are there in any area at a given time?

I believe there is or was a credit system. I don’t know, perhaps some services allow this…

Where the government can’t supply, they will place the onus on private services. Always been the case. Either more is budgeted towards public emergency services or the state will make attempts at regulating the private emergency services /cough, NHI.

Provincial, aka government, emergency services does exist, and everyone, as chartered, has a right to medical assistance. All in all, we have a weak public health system, but the onus shouldn't be placed on private institutions.

I can cry corruption, maladministration and incompetence all day long, but there will always be other reasons...

crocopede

Expert Member
Trick is to just rock up. If you do, they are obligated to stabilize you, and arrange an ambulance and bed at a government hospital. If however you are stable, ye well then you wasted your time.
Had a similar experience when I needed to rush my wife to a private hospital because the government hospital didn't have a doctor available. Only one out of the 3 private hospitals was willing to help me.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
TBH, I am totally not surprised by this and largely think the Private Ambulance services should be doing this given what I know of the RAF and their inability and unwillingness to pay for services rendered.

BUT, the flip side of this is I have had to tell a private ambulance to fsck right off. I had an accident about 2 years ago, and of course they magically arrive (even before the tow trucks these days) and the oke in the ambulance was very pushy about trying to take me to hospital for a check up...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
TBH, I am totally not surprised by this and largely think the Private Ambulance services should be doing this given what I know of the RAF and their inability and unwillingness to pay for services rendered.

BUT, the flip side of this is I have had to tell a private ambulance to fsck right off. I had an accident about 2 years ago, and of course they magically arrive (even before the tow trucks these days) and the oke in the ambulance was very pushy about trying to take me to hospital for a check up...

Vultures everywhere.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
scrap RAF FFS!!!

make 3rd party insurance mandatory for a valid vehicle license, job done

question though: if the victim is unconscious and a bystander summoned the ambulance ... who do they ask for the payment?

ToxicBunny

Vultures everywhere.

Pretty much, and in all honesty, tow truck drivers are all generally very decent these days and not the vultures they were a good number of years ago.
At that same accident, a tow truck driver arrived first and started clearing the scene so traffic could flow properly again. I was on the phone at the same time with my insurance company and sorting everything out and it turned out his company wasn't on the "panel" for my insurance, so he actually phoned a different company who was on the panel who came and collected the vehicle. I'm sure he makes a bit of comm from the interaction, but absolutely no money was demanded from me and there was no pushiness.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master

Honestly besides netcare ambulances the rest of them are rubbish. The guys working the ambulances barely have any accreditation and cant even administer an iv. You dont really want to be taken by them anyway.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Honestly besides netcare ambulances the rest of them are rubbish. The guys working the ambulances barely have any accreditation and cant even administer an iv. You dont really want to be taken by them anyway.

The fire brigade's medical officers are highly trained, but their availability is low.

ToxicBunny

Oh 100%.... If I had actually been in need of real medical treatment after the accident I would have made sure that my insurance company sorted out whatever was actually needed

neoprema

Executive Member
Book a ride with bolt, uber etc like in the states...
Your chances of an Uber arriving before a Govt ambulance or fire truck is about 99.9% so yeah, not a bad idea.

That said, I'm not intrigued if Uber has anything in its T'&C's that prohibit it being used as an emergency vehicle.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
scrap RAF FFS!!!

make 3rd party insurance mandatory for a valid vehicle license, job done

question though: if the victim is unconscious and a bystander summoned the ambulance ... who do they ask for the payment?
If 3rd party insurance still allows for the ANC cadres to get their cuts, the RAF will be scrapped tomorrow.