’Pay R1 500 before we treat you,’ private ambulances tell road accident victims

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
It is criminal that government cannot provide these services with the billions allocated to health care.

Guess it mostly ends up in the pockets of cadres.

eg2505

Honorary Master
im confused actually, I thought whatever you call government or private they must take you to a hospital of your choice,
and they have to stabilize you no matter who you are. that's the law.

now we have Vultures and Cashiers and downright Robberies taking place after a traumatic experience.

what if your unconscious? what if somebody else calls the ambulance? bill you per KM and call it a day?
guess it pays well to be in the "need attention" department, and if not, just sabotage a few traffic lights and watch the money flow it.

eg2505

Honorary Master
It is criminal that government cannot provide these services with the billions allocated to health care.

Guess it mostly ends up in the pockets of cadres.
this, when has tax money actually been used for something constructive,
KFC and t-shirts.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
im confused actually, I thought whatever you call government or private they must take you to a hospital of your choice,

now we have Vultures and Cashiers and downright Robberies taking place after a traumatic experience.

what if your unconscious? what if somebody else calls the ambulance? bill you per KM and call it a day?
guess it pays well to be in the "need attention" department, and if not, just sabotage a few traffic lights and watch the money flow it.

No, all they would be legally required to do, at most, is stabilise you if its that bad.... they are not required to transport you or anything.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Well, not to be the ***hole in the room but what do they expect to do? Medical services aren't cheap, and its quite frankly the fault of the government for letting the public services degenerate.
Add to that for weakening the private sector

deesef

Expert Member
If 3rd party insurance still allows for the ANC cadres to get their cuts, the RAF will be scrapped tomorrow.
I'll bet that they have always received their cut. That is why there is nothing left for the private ambulance services...

Intox

And if they cannot afford it.
Do they get charged a "call out fee"?
They just leave if you can't pay.

I didn't know it worked like that myself till a family member was in an accident and the other party called a private ambulance which after arriving gave them the medical aid or pay up now option.
Since he had no medical aid and couldn't afford the ambulance cost, just waited for his wife to come pick him up and take him to the gov hospital.

Mekon

Expert Member
Well, not to be the ***hole in the room but what do they expect to do? Medical services aren't cheap, and its quite frankly the fault of the government for letting the public services degenerate.
Just another cANCer fukkup to add to the long long list of cANCer fukkups. A dog turd is probably more useful than the cadre assclowns running this shythole of a country.

Medres

They're supposed to transport you to the nearest most appropriate medical facility.

chrisc

Executive Member
My neighbour was involved in an accident not more than 2km from the hospital in Retreat. When the ambulance arrived, the medic asked her for her medical card and had a 10-minute conversation with the hospital while they in turn called Discovery to ascertain whether her plan included the ambulance service

When they got to the hospital about 5 mins later, the doctor castigated the ambulance driver for taking his time. He just shrugged and walked off. She later found out that had they picked up an uninsured person, he would have faced a disciplinary hearing.

CB40

Expert Member
Book a ride with bolt, uber etc like in the states...
As far as I know is if you die in a private vehicle the driver could be charged with murder.
Don't know if this is still the case.
Years ago I picked up a guy in Durban who had been stabbed and was wandering around in the road.
I panicked and couldn't remember where the nearest hospital was,so stopped at a cop shop.
The officer that came out to the car thanked me and called an ambulance.
After all the drama he told me never to do it again.
You will get off the charge but will have to jump through hoops and hours of wasted time.

Grant

Honorary Master
My neighbour was involved in an accident not more than 2km from the hospital in Retreat. When the ambulance arrived, the medic asked her for her medical card and had a 10-minute conversation with the hospital while they in turn called Discovery to ascertain whether her plan included the ambulance service

When they got to the hospital about 5 mins later, the doctor castigated the ambulance driver for taking his time. He just shrugged and walked off. She later found out that had they picked up an uninsured person, he would have faced a disciplinary hearing.
That sounds deeply suspicious.

Private medical emergency services are compelled by law to provide treatment to anyone - insured or uninsured - until their condition is stable and can be transferred to a state facility.

Emphasis here is on emergency, not a sprained wrist.
If a patient could lose "life or limb", private services are compelled to provide treatment.
Private services are also fully entitled to charge their usual fees.
The requirement to treat a patient, does not extend to treating a patient for free & mahala.

So an ambulance service is compelled to stabilise a patient, but oddly, not provide transport.
Pragmatic consideration is usually applied. It is quicker to "scoop and run" with a patient to a hospital than to sit on the side of the road, possibly for hours, waiting for a public hospital ambulance.
Waiting for a public hospital ambulance will incur more loss, than a "scoop and run" with an uninsured patient.

eg2505

Honorary Master
That sounds deeply suspicious.

Private medical emergency services are compelled by law to provide treatment to anyone - insured or uninsured - until their condition is stable and can be transferred to a state facility.

Emphasis here is on emergency, not a sprained wrist.
If a patient could lose "life or limb", private services are compelled to provide treatment.
Private services are also fully entitled to charge their usual fees.
The requirement to treat a patient, does not extend to treating a patient for free & mahala.

So an ambulance service is compelled to stabilise a patient, but oddly, not provide transport.
Pragmatic consideration is usually applied. It is quicker to "scoop and run" with a patient to a hospital than to sit on the side of the road, possibly for hours, waiting for a public hospital ambulance.
Waiting for a public hospital ambulance will incur more loss, than a "scoop and run" with an uninsured patient.
so what if you "request" a ambulance ,for something you think is serious like a nosebleed that wont stop,
is that considered an emergency, or again, its up to the medics that arrive to determine that?
who pays in that sort of situation?

what if you cant pay? or indeed wont pay?
do they roll out the lawyers and repo guys to come round to your house and furnish you with garnishing orders?
are they as brutal as tow truck drivers and storage yards that charge you fees for every min your car is in their yard?

honestly, trying to get into a situation that can be avoided with Vultures and Thieves out there.

Grant

Honorary Master
so what if you "request" a ambulance ,for something you think is serious like a nosebleed that wont stop,
is that considered an emergency, or again, its up to the medics that arrive to determine that?
who pays in that sort of situation?
An emergency is largely determined by the "loss of limb or life" principle.
The probability of death resulting from a nosebleed is somewhat slim.
But there is a drama queen around every corner. Stupidity often comes with a price tag.
what if you cant pay? or indeed wont pay?
do they roll out the lawyers and repo guys to come round to your house and furnish you with garnishing orders?
They are entitled to be paid for the service they provide, just like a plumber, architect or car wash.
They are unlikely to furnish you with garnishing orders unless they are aware of the presence of parsley or apple sauce in your home.
A garnishee order would be an option if a court issues one.
are they as brutal as tow truck drivers and storage yards that charge you fees for every min your car is in their yard?
Ambulance services charge rates according to distance and medical care required. Advanced life support ambulance service is obviously more expensive.
It's like uber x, vs uber black - but with a bed and attendants.
honestly, trying to get into a situation that can be avoided with Vultures and Thieves out there.
Medical insurance helps.
If you do not subscribe to a service, you cannot expect it to be delivered.