• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

“I can detain you for 12 hours, so what are you going to do?”

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
“I can detain you for 12 hours, so what are you going to do?”

It is a fear many motorists have – being pulled over by a law enforcement officer and threatened with being locked up.

Knowing what you can and cannot be arrested for, however, can prevent motorists from being exploited.

A MyBroadband reader experienced this on the evening of 17 May 2018, while driving along Witkoppen Road, Johannesburg at 19:30.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Is the lass in the pic the actual MyBB reader?!?

We're gonna need a user name, pronto!

Last edited:

cyb3rt

I had the same thing in Pretoria (Lynnwood road) one evening around 23h00. I was sober, but driving without a drivers license. I got the exact same line from the guy who approached me, asking if I knew this infringement will get me a fine of R2500. I did not have my wallet with me, so no cash, no cards, and no license so I just told him that I am sorry I can't do anything for him as I have absolutely nothing in my possession so he can write the ticket. After this he actually tried to talk me into giving my watch to him as collateral and he will leave me alone, but naturally I just laughed him off in the nicest way I could.

Ended up not even writing the ticket and he sent me off...

Grubscrew

Expert Member
Half of this problem is due to people willing to pay bribes under normal circumstances. Thus these scum think it is fair game to press other people for bribes.

I don't even pay my fines, why would I pay a bribe?

I just tell them to write it. Half the time they just let me go :D

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Have had a similar(ish) issue with a Metro officer in Durban who tried to tell me that blowing 0.04 on a breathalyser put me over the limit (which he claimed was 0.02) and he was threatening to arrest me... He changed his tune very quickly when I told him I was phoning my lawyer who would meet us at the police station....

In hindsight I should have got the officers name and all that and put in an official complaint, but I was much much younger at the time it happened....

Devviem

Expert Member
No license and with an expired license disc?! Jirre, maar jy soek mos nou vir ***!

You got off VERY light!

No license and with an expired license disc?! Jirre, maar jy soek mos nou vir ***!

You got off VERY light!
No really, last time I checked - R 500 for driving without a license, and R 500 for an expired disc. Not sure about the amounts now, but it's not an issue.

Nithan15

Expert Member
I could have sworn that I saw a taxi the other that had news paper for licence disk or some text typed on a faded piece of paper.

sox63

Executive Member
Have had a similar(ish) issue with a Metro officer in Durban who tried to tell me that blowing 0.04 on a breathalyser put me over the limit (which he claimed was 0.02) and he was threatening to arrest me... He changed his tune very quickly when I told him I was phoning my lawyer who would meet us at the police station....

In hindsight I should have got the officers name and all that and put in an official complaint, but I was much much younger at the time it happened....
You're lucky he was angling for a bribe with as little effort possible. He was right, for breath its 0.24mg, for blood it's 0.5g. So you were almost double the limit

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...ink-before-you-can-drive-this-festive-season/

EDIT: Nevermind, did not notice the extra decimal, my bad

eg2505

Honorary Master
silly noob question from me,

it says operating a vehicle recklessly, what exactly does that mean?

I mean technically speaking, if you drive with no license and an expired disc, that's driving recklessly?
as you are not fit to be on the road in the first place?

I think the word recklessly can be exploited, by the Police,

IE I say I dont have my licence, they say you are operating a vehicle recklessly,
get out the car NOW,

what can you do?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

kallie_marie

You got off VERY light!
Exactly. Just wait until you are involved in an accident and no license or expired disc. Oh boy I have heard stories of guys that got locked up and raped in jail because of that.