“Mysterious” cell tower erected on Western Cape mountain

Nobody Important

Executive Member
CapeNature officials (who are responsible for the peak) said:
they do not know who commissioned the tower – and said the party did not seek permission.
Really?:

It told the Sunday Times that a “Western Cape Internet service provider allegedly gained illegal access” to the area. It then “transported equipment and building material to the top of the mountain and seemingly bulldozed a new piece of road as well”.
Their park Rangers never saw a bulldozer entering and doing work? Never thought to question anybody or raise an alarm?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Build towers after asking for permission, is it that hard?
This is an issue everywhere. I know many people in this industry. High sites can go up as easily as the can come down.

In regard to this site, at this height, the hardest permission to obtain will be with the Civil Aviation. Yes, as per the article, the base station is technically legal, but there are many other provisions other than the National Environmental Management Act. It is also good practice to put up a plaque at your high site to establish identity, and to those sharing the high site, with their licencing and ownership, and record keeping, come to inspections.
I also question how this ISP was allowed to level by bulldozing that area.

There are so many acts applying here,

- Civil Aviation Act
- EMA / NEMA Acts
- NEM (Protected Areas / Biodiversity) Acts
- National Water Act
- SABS / SANS Codes (in the abundance)

and this is ignoring the many health and hazard acts.

They likely never received permission when applied or knew that they likely wouldn't have received permission when applied, and went ahead. I hope that WAPA (whether the ISP is registered with them) and ICASA is looking into this.

Daruk

Honorary Master
This is an issue everywhere. I know many people in this industry. High sites can go up as easily as the can come down.

In regard to this site, at this height, the hardest permission to obtain will be with the Civil Aviation. Yes, as per the article, the base station is technically legal, but there are many other provisions other than the National Environmental Management Act. It is also good practice to put up a plaque at your high site to establish identity, and to those sharing the high site, with their licencing and ownership, and record keeping, come to inspections.
I also question how this ISP was allowed to level by bulldozing that area.

There are so many acts applying here,

- Civil Aviation Act
- EMA / NEMA Acts
- NEM (Protected Areas / Biodiversity) Acts
- National Water Act
- SABS / SANS Codes (in the abundance)

and this is ignoring the many health and hazard acts.

They likely never received permission when applied or knew that they likely wouldn't have received permission when applied, and went ahead. I hope that WAPA (whether the ISP is registered with them) and ICASA is looking into this.
ICASA probably have plenty proof of them applying for permission but none of them responding.