[09 June 2021] **Update** Load shedding suspended from 20:00. Stage 1 on Sat & Sun between 17:00 and 20:00

Tinuva

The Magician
From 17:00 to 8:00 the next morning my batteries are set discharge only to 60% SOC. Rest of the time is set to 25%. Can handle up to stage 6 even on overcast days with this setting without having to go to the grid. I have one grid charge setting to 50% SOC at 2am to 6am just in case but the inverter had not needed to use this yet.
Thats a nice start yeah.

My DoD is set dynamic at 8pm depending on what the solar forecast is for the next day.
At 6am its set to go down only to 91% but because batteries usually below that it means inverter pulls from eskom to blend, mostly so that a geyser can run and not use the batteries.

Geysers will also turn on when batteries at 100% to use excess solar. When solar forecast in the afternoon drop below 1kWh for the rest of the day, both geysers turn off and the SoC limit is set 100% eg. dont use any battery. That last 1kWh is usually enough to charge from 91% to close to 100%.

Idea is similar to yours, use as much battery to save on Eskom bill, but keep geysers off and also protect as much as possible not only against loadshedding, but in the case a substation goes poof.

wbot

Executive Member
Finally! Today we get shedded 10:00-12:30pm. Not bad. Unless they change it again. Anything's better than 18:00-20:30 or 6:00am

Brian_G

Executive Member
We've got a 4:00am tomorrow, first time eva.
Then a possible 2:00am on Sunday.
Just kills our sleep.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Im suppose to be off at work since 8am but we're still on ESKOM

I closed down the Durban production plant and decided enough was enough...we lost a major machine due to a power spike that was so bad that it blew the supressor/UPS along with the machine's electronics to boot... moved operations to Botswana and it's just admin-work from here now.

Proudly brought to you by the ANC. 80 jobs lost in a single day...

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I closed down the Durban production plant and decided enough was enough...we lost a major machine due to a power spike that was so bad that it blew the supressor/UPS along with the machine's electronics to boot... moved operations to Botswana and it's just admin-work from here now.

Proudly brought to you by the ANC. 80 jobs lost in a single day...
What power generation does Botswana have?

Hummercellc

Expert Member
This I feel will be short lived.
Weekends are normally very low demand periods.

Next week Eskom will be like 'Stage 2, 4, 3 oh no wait, sorry people Stage 1.'

Can they not delare permanent Stage 2 or 3 or 4 for about x number of months or whatever and get their a$$ into high gear and sort the problem child power stations out?

Then we can at least plan around it.
This up and down the Stage level ladder is so frustrating.