1 Gbps Fibre to the Home planned for South Africa

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
Personally I question who, living in Durban, can actually afford this. Many people from the greater Durban area may have the money, but they mostly live in the suburbs and not the city itself

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
As i said in the last thread I will hold judgment, as they are related to Broadband Infraco and I don't trust them.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Personally I question who, living in Durban, can actually afford this. Many people from the greater Durban area may have the money, but they mostly live in the suburbs and not the city itself

Its going to be in Umhlanga to start... So yeah that is not Durban town.

Mr Feesh

Expert Member

according to the article on techcentral they will be trialling it in North Durban, in Somerset Park, next to Umhlanga

Xzib1t

Expert Member
All this will be done within the next 4-5 years

I wonder how far they'll get

ponder

Honorary Master

It will build a pilot network north of Durban in the next few months to test the system before beginning a commercial roll-out from midyear.

Which probably means Durban North, La Lucia, Umhlanga, Mt. Edgecombe.

Budza

Executive Member
Using water/sewage pipes as access channels is genius. No expensive digging required. 1GB to FTTH: The S#it :D

Cicero

Expert Member
Well its a start...but I sure as hell wont be able to afford it.

ponder

Honorary Master
He estimates it will take about 30 minutes to complete the installation in each home.

This guy is delusional. A plumber can't even find his tools in that time.

Just hope there is no contamination going from the sewer system to the water systems :D

biometrics

Honorary Master
I want to move house this year. So now I'll have to check if there is coverage before deciding on a new home. I'm not missing out on this!

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
through the sewer, into the water pipes, into the house. interesting approach.
open access model sounds great.

lucifir

Expert Member
the only prob .... while we might/will get a great speed(finally true broadband) ... we gonna get capped in like a minute :)
nice if they use their directorships at infraco to arrange better bandwidth prices as well :)

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I'm intrigued by this...

It would be nice to see what their buildout plans look like actually because if its affordable I would take the offer. FTTH is what we need in this country if you ask me... the sooner I can get rid of Telkom the better.

TheGuy

Expert Member
This is really good news especially since they don't want to offer services so all players in the industry will be able to compete

the only prob .... while we might/will get a great speed(finally true broadband) ... we gonna get capped in like a minute :)
nice if they use their directorships at infraco to arrange better bandwidth prices as well :)

I think that's part of the plan they will use their power at Infraco to get them to lay backbone Fiber where they need it.

Python009

Want fibre to your home? You could soon have it. i3 Africa, a new company backed by the National Empowerment Fund, plans to build a high-speed fibre network connecting 2,5m homes within the next 4-5 years in a multibillion-rand project that could transform SA’s broadband landscape.

Yes, and all the tender money will vanish before the project even begins... no doubt...