1-Grid Hosting

rinorobert

Hi All,

Topic: WordPress Website | Hosted on 1-Grid Shared Hosting

I have recently had my website migrated over to 1-Grid and noticed a severe drop in speed. Prior to the migration I had a GTMetrix score of "A". Since the migration, the score is now an "F". This is naturally affecting multiple aspects of the platform which I am trying to remediate. I have since tried a number of things on my end to improve this but don't seem to be making much progress.

I have been in touch with support who have tried to assist but don't seem to be winning.

Has anyone else experienced such a severe drop when moving to 1-Grid and can anyone recommend a host who has speed in mind.

Cheers!

chrisc

Executive Member
I have been using 1-Grid since they started about 8 years ago and never had occasion to complain

What did 1-Grid's tech tell you to do?

What speeds do you have (up and down)?

rinorobert

I have been using 1-Grid since they started about 8 years ago and never had occasion to complain

What did 1-Grid's tech tell you to do?

What speeds do you have (up and down)?
I'm running on a 1000mbps down/180mbps up line.

The tech support guys are investigating the issue and I am awaiting feedback. Been an issue like this for the last week unfortunately.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Hi All,

Topic: WordPress Website | Hosted on 1-Grid Shared Hosting

I have recently had my website migrated over to 1-Grid and noticed a severe drop in speed. Prior to the migration I had a GTMetrix score of "A". Since the migration, the score is now an "F". This is naturally affecting multiple aspects of the platform which I am trying to remediate. I have since tried a number of things on my end to improve this but don't seem to be making much progress.

I have been in touch with support who have tried to assist but don't seem to be winning.

Has anyone else experienced such a severe drop when moving to 1-Grid and can anyone recommend a host who has speed in mind.

Cheers!
As part of migrating clients onto my own hosting stack, I've dealt with most of the popular web hosting providers. 1-Grid is in a whole league of its own when it comes to scammy business practices and godawful hosting performance.

Stop stressing about this crap and just move immediately. Absolute Hosting is a miles better option if you want a basic managed solution.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Long ago I ran a small WordPress site and forum on Web Africa, who sold their hosting business to 1-Grid. Things were so bad I ended up shutting down instead of moving to a different host as their poor service chased away the few visitors I had and it wasn’t worth the time trying to rebuild what was nothing more than a hobby and repository of retro info (it was a site that hosted almost every demo/shareware/abandonware game from the 80s through late 90s, lots of info on 3dfx/Cyrix/Via, etc).

My current business was hosted with Absolute until it got a bit too big for their offerings at a reasonable price. Take nothing away from Absolute, they’re great if you don’t have too much traffic, but for a medium to large site, Elite is king (knowing the director since we were both teens might have something to do with it :p But honestly, I’m extremely happy with their offerings).

rinorobert

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll certainly look into “Absolute Hosting” and “Elite Host”. Going to look to migrate over to one of them next week because I can’t continue with 1-Grid where the knock is too severe.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Long ago I ran a small WordPress site and forum on Web Africa, who sold their hosting business to 1-Grid. Things were so bad I ended up shutting down instead of moving to a different host as their poor service chased away the few visitors I had and it wasn’t worth the time trying to rebuild what was nothing more than a hobby and repository of retro info (it was a site that hosted almost every demo/shareware/abandonware game from the 80s through late 90s, lots of info on 3dfx/Cyrix/Via, etc).

My current business was hosted with Absolute until it got a bit too big for their offerings at a reasonable price. Take nothing away from Absolute, they’re great if you don’t have too much traffic, but for a medium to large site, Elite is king (knowing the director since we were both teens might have something to do with it :p But honestly, I’m extremely happy with their offerings).
The Elitehost VPS page looks like it hasn't been updated in 10 years. Makes me assume the rest of the company is using ancient hardware too.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
The Elitehost VPS page looks like it hasn't been updated in 10 years. Makes me assume the rest of the company is using ancient hardware too.
Their descriptions are out of date, they’re redoing the website.

Moving from Absolute to Elite on a like-for-like package, by CPU usage has dropped from 70-100% down to 4-10% (and I’ve more than quadrupled the number of cron jobs running per hour), and number of 503 Server Busy errors has dropped from 40+ per day (every 15-20 minutes during business hours, sometime for up to 20 minutes at a time) to none in the last month. I’ve gone from mostly down to entirely up :) This is on a site that has up to 500 simultaneous visitors at busy times.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Moving from Absolute to Elite on a like-for-like package, by CPU usage has dropped from 70-100% down to 4-10% (and I’ve more than quadrupled the number of cron jobs running per hour), and number of 503 Server Busy errors has dropped from 40+ per day (every 15-20 minutes during business hours, sometime for up to 20 minutes at a time) to none in the last month. I’ve gone from mostly down to entirely up :) This is on a site that has up to 500 simultaneous visitors at busy times.
Interesting. Do you know what specs Elitehost uses? Absolute uses EPYC Rome, much more recent than the 8-10 year old Intel setups at most other local hosts.

rinorobert

This is very interesting to hear, going to chat to both providers next week to try establish which one better suits the needs of my platform.

Does anyone know is staging is supported by either, I don’t see any mention of it on their websites.

Elitehost

Interesting. Do you know what specs Elitehost uses? Absolute uses EPYC Rome, much more recent than the 8-10 year old Intel setups at most other local hosts.
Hello @Bryn Apologies, our website is outdated and we're busy with a redesign. If you have any custom requirements please PM me for a quote.

We've been using AMD EPYC for 2.5 years now, the first few servers in this rack are 1st gen Naples, the rest are Rome based. We're looking at 3rd Gen (Milan) options for the next hardware order. The latest 3 servers in this rack use NVMe storage.

rsz_img_3975.jpg

Elitehost

This is very interesting to hear, going to chat to both providers next week to try establish which one better suits the needs of my platform.

Does anyone know is staging is supported by either, I don’t see any mention of it on their websites.
Hello @rinorobert thank you for your interest in Elitehost. We do provide a WordPress staging option. We can also assist with implementing various WordPress performance enhancements. Please contact us for further information.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Hello @Bryn Apologies, our website is outdated and we're busy with a redesign. If you have any custom requirements please PM me for a quote.

We've been using AMD EPYC for 2.5 years now, the first few servers in this rack are 1st gen Naples, the rest are Rome based. We're looking at 3rd Gen (Milan) options for the next hardware order. The latest 3 servers in this rack use NVMe storage.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to see you guys are actually using decent hardware. I don't mind the current web design, as quaint as it is. The info on the site could just do with updating. I'll reply to your PM now.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep

I’m sorry to hear that you had to move away because of the 500 errors. These are caused by cloudlinux on the shared servers which will throttle your resources when your site hits the limits imposed by the package that you are on, not the AMD Epyc VPS servers.

Would you mind dropping me a pm with your client code so that I can take a look at the package that you were on, perhaps we can tweak those limits a bit to find a sweet spot between usability of a clients site a stability on the server.

Nice setup there Elitehost - Supermicro FTW.

Our current VPS offering is based on the Rome EPYC platform and we are benchmarking the Milan platform now, and have another Milan on route from Supermicro NL which will replace our current Windows VPS host.

die_pieter

As part of migrating clients onto my own hosting stack, I've dealt with most of the popular web hosting providers. 1-Grid is in a whole league of its own when it comes to scammy business practices and godawful hosting performance.

Stop stressing about this crap and just move immediately. Absolute Hosting is a miles better option if you want a basic managed solution.

I agree, 1-Grid hosted some sites for our company and all kinds of weird expensive add-ons. When I joined the company and requested cancelations for our services it litterally took years to cancel.

3 years later they are still invoicing domain renewals, and when I email or call, they tell me auto renewal is now off, next year same thing.

Absolute worst to work with.

moklet

Expert Member
I agree, 1-Grid hosted some sites for our company and all kinds of weird expensive add-ons. When I joined the company and requested cancelations for our services it litterally took years to cancel.

3 years later they are still invoicing domain renewals, and when I email or call, they tell me auto renewal is now off, next year same thing.

Absolute worst to work with.
So looks like I am going to be with years of hell with 1-Grid. I had hosting with exclusive web, which I canceled, somehow in the same time they sold themselves out to 1-Grid. 1-Grid now still considers me as a customer and keeps sending invoices and reminders. Maybe a nice follow up article for MYBB about their practices

Seems like other people have the same issue

Last edited:

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
Hi All

I wanted to provide some feedback after being made aware that users were struggling with 503 errors.

The 503 errors were most certainly caused by Cloudlinux throttling resources on a users package, and we have now reviewed the resources allocated to all packages (End Users & Resellers) and where possible doubled those resources along with disabling MySQL governing.

These changes should strike a balance between usability and stability and avoid similar scenarios.

We had initially setup our servers according to Cloudlinux’s published recommendations and as we have learnt these were a bit too strict.

Imagirl20

I'm glad I came across this post. I was with exclusive web hosting as well, which was awesome and now I'm having endless issues with 1 grid.. They are either too busy to help or are investigating the issue and can't figure out the cause