100% broadband coverage for SA by 2020: Treasury gets involved

Beri

Expert Member
Affordability and broadband internet will never be in the same sentence in South Africa. Mobile companies are going to be used to provide internet to the rural areas and we will subsidise it. AKA the R289 per gig.

BGE

Expert Member
Another load of political propaganda BS! Make a promise now Pula, but by the time the due date arrives you've moved on and someone else will give another political BS story like "I can't be held accountable for promises my predecessor made..." ...

Pienats

The way I see it, we're in the worst possible position for this: we have no clarity on LLU, so no-one wants to do anything. Of course this benefits Telkom greatly, so for them it's win-win-win all the way in that regard.

In my opinion, ICASA, the DoC, whoever has any real power about this, should do one of two things:
1) Officially announce LLU, or
2) Officially say that LLU is simply not going to happen at all, ever.

If (1) happens, other players can at least then start using local copper, and we'll hopefully see some competition in the medium/long term.
If (2) happens, other players (notably the larger ISPs most likely) can safely start rolling out their own local loop infrastructure, and we'll hopefully see some competition in the medium/long term.

Personally, I somewhat hope for (2). At least that way, we'll get some nice new technologies rolled out. Of course the drawback of (2) is that the guys doing the roll out of their own infrastructure run the risk that government later decide to implement LLU simply to make use of that infrastructure. But I'm sure we can burn that bridge when we get there....

Praeses

Expert Member
6) How many countries in the world have 100% broadband penetration rates?

LFX

Expert Member
this woman and her jester outfit... lmao

I think the only way they could possibly achieve this goal is by literally redefining the definition of the term "100%"

Ricard

Expert Member
The treasury cant afford to pay for roads... so why whould they pay for fraudband.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Treasury seldom gets itself embroiled in duplication of duplication. The Minister responsible for Communications is currently charged with appointing a panel of experts to advise her on an ICT policy review which per official gazetted description is broad and encompassing and will include a white paper process which could see the overhauling of the ECA as amended. This makes amending the ECA questionable. The same Minister has also now got amendment bills requiring public comment on amending the ECA. During all of this there are haphazard and duplicitous meetings with industry and conferences. Now treasury meets with experts ....

The only answer is that the political stakes and disagreements both in the South African context but internationally as well. The stakes are probably distorting the issues.
It seems prevailing republican sentiment in the US is that network neutrality is a liberal agenda designed to frustrate good American companies but that the ITU must be kept out of the Internet ...

LPCPT

How have other countries have been able to expand broadband coverage? What contributions have governments made towards the network roll-outs, and what mechanisms have been used to provide finance?
This is enough reason to send a few friends around the world on so-called "fact finding" missions.

What approaches would help to rapidly expand broadband coverage in South Africa?
How can it be given free to the masses so that they will vote for us again.

How much funding is needed from Government, and what mechanisms could be used to ensure that the funding is best targeted to achieve Government’s aims?
Enough to do the job, bribe the right people and put some dough in the pockets of some of our friends

What are the potential sources of financing that Government could use to fund its contribution towards broadband roll-out?
Taxpayers, tv license, etoll's, hell anything that targets the middle and upper class. We cannot offend our loyal voters that do not pay tax and already live off the government.

What are the key challenges that may be faced in expanding broadband access? How might these be addressed?
Here we need a list of excuses to present when the whole thing goes pear-shaped.

Now back to sanity.
Nationalise Telkom
Fire their board
Appoint a board of industry experts (no political affiliation)
Mandate them to do the job
Give Telkom a cash injection to start it off

Skerminkel

Expert Member
At least it is a positive step that Treasury is becoming involved.

The DoC minister post does seem jinxed. Can't we get JZ to cover for a few months?

LPCPT

SARS seems to be the only government dept that gets anything right. Can that expertise not be applied in other departments?