100% Internet connectivity promised by government

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Hmmm...OK

crossed-fingers-behind-back.jpg

MickeyD

RIP
Strictly speaking we already have 100% "internet connectivity" in South Africa.

Whether everybody can afford it is a different question!

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Strictly speaking we already have 100% "internet connectivity" in South Africa.

Whether everybody can afford it is a different question!
not entirely true

Western Levels Deep doesn't get satellite connectivity ...

:D

kianm

Honorary Master
South Africans are therefore enjoying broadband access provided by the private sector not because of government, but in spite of government’s poor performance in the field.

Anc government trying to take credit for everything except when there is a failure by their people. eg: 1. sanrail evicting those people 2. when the police are involved in killings 3. textbooks are not delivered

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Satellite link to the surface and drop a cable connection down the main shaft! :p

based on the distances you'll have to go with fibre - FttMW - to make it broadband. If we are happy with mere connectivity battery powered routers :D

LCBXX

Honorary Master
So that in effect means that broadband connectivity, in Gauteng, will become a basic right at a a price equal to the breadline (+/- R60pm)?

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
actually I am being stupid. There is already ground level infrastructure so you can run some fibre down and connect up a few cell transmitters. Internet connectivity on a feature phone very much counts as internet connectivity. Of course you will have to do an EIA before installing the transmitters in the shaft and make sure that there aren't any complaints from the residents - You know how dangerous cell masts are and so the mine workers must be protected from the evil harm caused

*yes I am being very facetious and there are many reasons why cellphone reception in a mineshaft is not the best thing since sliced bread

MickeyD

RIP
So that in effect means that broadband connectivity, in Gauteng, will become a basic right at a a price equal to the breadline (+/- R60pm)?

broadband connectivity NO.

Internet connectivity YES

Big difference.

entrepr

Expert Member
The article is basically accurate except for a slight typo on the one word

It should be 'broadband for all in the next 5 decades'

Nothing to get too hung up on :whistling:

Swa

Honorary Master
Internet and broadband connectivity are two distinct things. I don't expect the bush school to teach the difference though. Providing broadband for all over cellular is simply not possible so they'll have to nationalise Telkom to achieve the goal.