1080p YouTube downloads now available

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
1080p YouTube downloads now available

YouTube Premium subscribers now have the ability to download videos from the platform in 1080p quality on their smartphones, Android Police reports.

The feature was previously only available for up to 720p video downloads, but given the increase of display resolutions in recent years, it was inevitable that YouTube increase maximum download quality for users.

jax_maxit

I wonder how many premium subscribers have phone resolutions to use/view 1080p videos. I'd rather watch such quality on my home monitor or smart TV. For me personally 480p on my phone is perfect. Hell, with so many 240p videos on Twitter, I'm used to low res content.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Can I download MP3s?
Why? Just use YouTube music to download the audio.
I wonder how many premium subscribers have phone resolutions to use/view 1080p videos. I'd rather watch such quality on my home monitor or smart TV. For me personally 480p on my phone is perfect. Hell, with so many 240p videos on Twitter, I'm used to low res content.
Youtube has casting support since ages. Don't even need a chromecast just use a smart tv or go to youtube.com/tv...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Well there's a notable difference between 480p and 720p. The biggest advantage moving from 720p to 1080p on YouTube is that you'll get better audio, at 720p e.g. frequencies are cut.
On my 1080p laptop I always watch in 1440p if available, since it's not only more pixels, but more information that is available, improving the quality. A noticeable one are often a lot of the LTT videos (I watch it if bored) if there is more movement. Since my line is an uncapped 100Mbps, for that tiny gain in quality, it's worth the effort of setting to 1440p. On a phone if on mobile data? Not really. If you have a lot of storage space for download on WiFi, why not? What about larger tablets? There are definitely noticeable quality improvements for most from 720p->1080p.