10Mbps DSL versus 10Mbps fibre - Prices compared

Hanzo

The biggest problem I recall with dsl was waiting 30+ days for residential line faults to be repaired. Has that changed?
I had a fault on my line 2 weeks ago. Logged a fault at about 10am. Technician pitched up at 3pm that day. Said he was going to escalate it as the fault is at the exchange. Next day a group of 3 people came and fixed it.
I think it also depends on the area you're in

system32

Expert Member
My VDSL line synced at 45/10 and my latency was 8ms, for comparison my Vumatel fibre now is 3ms.
Only became cheaper because Telkom removed the forced POTS rentals - changed to "naked" DSL.

With Fibre, the link speed is the same as the marketing speed.
With ADSL, the link speed is a "best effort, up to, pay for marking rate" speed.

Unless you close to the DSLAM or Exchange your ADSL rate is lower than the marking rate.

Pay for an 8Mbps ADSL that never exceeds 5Mbps link speed due SNR to attenuation because of distance - this makes the R/Mbps higher than Fibre.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Dead cat bounce. You can only get if you already have a connection into your house. It will only live as long as your neighbourhood copper infrastructure survives RET.

Totempole

Expert Member
Fibre will always be the end game, but for those of us who can't afford to pay Vuma's ridiculous entry-level pricing, a good VDSL connection buys us time.

I'd be more than happy with a 20/20 Fibre Line, but as long as a 40/10 VDSL line is cheaper, it makes no sense for me to move.

konfab

Honorary Master
However, what followed came as a surprise to many, as Openserve later scrapped its landline rental fee of around R200 which was always required on a DSL package and launched Pure Connect.

This lead to a number of ISPs launching so-called “naked ADSL packages” at greatly reduced prices.
Magic what a little bit of competition does eh?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I was under the impression if ADSL copper breaks in an area with fibre then you get to keep both pieces? So is it a case of you can use copper but only till it dies or are Telkom fixing copper in fibre covered areas?

Openserve only discontinues copper in areas where Openserve fibre is rolled out and due to copper theft.

All other areas are still maintained. You can even look at maintenance on the saix notice board.

Openserve is switching people in certain areas to new ISAMs.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Fiber providers do NOT want to sell 10Mbps packages...they don't make money off of those.

These continuous silly comparisons are moot anyway...so many variables.

I think the opposite is true actually.

They make a huge amount of money on the lower speeds as it essentially cost them the same to provide the service as the high speed lines.

It also helps so they don't have to continuously invest in expensive backhaul upgrades. I think if FNOs can sell us 1Mbps at R600 they will.

Magix

I know my reason to never switch back to DSL. In the 4 years I've had FIbre, I've never has to disconnect my phone line to protect my home network from lightning damage. Which means I have working fibre internet when DSL users don't during lightning storms. OR I have working fibre internet after thunderstorms when the brave DSL users decided to keep their internet on during all the lightning and now suffer the consequences.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
What's the catch with Axxess? Why so much cheaper 10mb DSL compared to Afrihost for example?
I thought maybe they were excluding the ADSL rental in the R395, but nope, it is for the combo. Line and data.

Johand

Expert Member
Openserve only discontinues copper in areas where Openserve fibre is rolled out and due to copper theft.
Well - I meant in context of the article. If you have fibre and switch to copper because it is cheaper the copper might be discontinued / not repaired? So there is no real choice between fibre and copper (where OpenServe has both)..

Nereus77

RIP Telkom ADSL. You ripped us off for far too long.

I think fibre prices will also fall as fibre networks get bigger and we have higher capacity undersea cables coming online.

netstrider

Expert Member
I begged Telkom to switch me from interleaved to fast path for months and they never budged.