[11/02/19] Eskom stage 4 load-shedding – Voice exchanges and mobile networks down

werny

Expert Member
Yup, Vodacom dead in Potch Industria, so much for giving employees LTE as backup when Fibre goes out due to power failure... FML :crying::mad:

Iamnotageek

Expert Member
I use Telkom Mobile data and my cell phone to play online. Guess it's Titan Quest offline gameplay tonight.

daveza

Honorary Master
Adsl always stayed up during loadshedding - now that's gone as well.

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member
My ADSL is still up in Melkbos, suppose it depends on whether the local exchange has a Gennie, and it has fuel, and it is operational in the first instance.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
AFAIK that should still be the case for bigger, older exchanges that have diesel generators and batteries. However I've been gone from that scene for a long time. Also, a link can go down somewhere and take the exchange down but the exchange still has power meanwhile.

daveza

Honorary Master
How would I find out why the adsl is now going down - while retaining my sanity ?

sgs

The batteries from our MSAN were stolen months ago. So no phone service during load shedding.

Telkom though is supposed to supply emergency service according to their licence conditions. Or am I mistaken? So surely this is not an acceptable situation?

Does e.g. Vuma have battery backup during outages? Time to switch to a SIP phone?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Telkom has cut back on exchange battery backup, BUT this is NOT the prime reason some lose their ADSL services and fibre services!
The reason is that MSANs and fibre breakout nodes are not in the exchange but in street cabinets with their own, much smaller battery backup setups. If these are stolen, then there is no battery backup when the power fails and all services are lost as soon as the power fails.

Telkom battery backup at the exchange is most probably not working.
Maybe update yourself on the realities of migrating to fibre and moving concentration nodes out of the exchange before making statements like this?

The batteries from our MSAN were stolen months ago. So no phone service during load shedding.

Telkom though is supposed to supply emergency service according to their licence conditions. Or am I mistaken? So surely this is not an acceptable situation?

Does e.g. Vuma have battery backup during outages? Time to switch to a SIP phone?
You can bet on one thing ---- Migrating to a VoIP or SIP system means you are very vulnerable to power failures compared to an old analogue phone system powered from the exchange. So NO, going VoIP or SIP is a bad idea from a power point of view.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Executive Member