12 Experts Questioning the Coronavirus Panic

Arthur

Honorary Master
This scenario regarding the public data we are recieving is weird. Have been looking at it in detail by pulling in data sets from the internet and the various APIs that have popped up all over the place.

The only conclusion that can be reached is that we don't actually have enough information. The officials in the various countries might, but definitely we don't, despite staring at charts intently for days.

As an example, a day ago I argued with someone that the covid death rate cannot be assumed to be accurate. Today, I am arguing on the other side of that same death rate. It is definitely a factor, but what weight does it really carry? How good the medical facilities are? How old or healthy the people are in that hotspot? The government guidelines as to what is defined as a covid death?

We haven't even scratched the surface of what each of the numbers mean, so in essence we are playing number games here. But in mitigation, this lockdown is partially the problem.....idle minds and all of that
With that I'm largely in agreement.

We simply don't have enough data to draw even tentative conclusions about the real CFR for this pathogen.

Absent the data, rushing to judgment and acting precipitously (such as the lockdown fatwa by Ramaphosa et al) is akin to throwing bones, no different in substance from the worst caricature of darkly ignorant medieval superstitionism.

I for one am deeply dismayed beyond words by the self-inflicted catastrophe that, bar a miracle, is certain to engulf us all and blight the lives of our children and our children's children. It is all so unnecessary, and could have been avoided had calmer heads prevailed.

John Tempus

Expert Member

We simply don't have enough data to draw even tentative conclusions about the real CFR for this pathogen.

Absent the data, rushing to judgment and acting precipitously (such as the lockdown fatwa by Ramaphosa et al) is akin to throwing bones, no different in substance from the worst caricature of darkly ignorant medieval superstitionism.

I for one am deeply dismayed beyond words by the self-inflicted catastrophe that, bar a miracle, is certain to engulf us all and blight the lives of our children and our children's children. It is all so unnecessary, and could have been avoided had calmer heads prevailed.
Worse is yet to come. Our government is already hanging onto the Chinese gods and inviting them over here. That would probably lead to even more permanent involvement from the Chinese in this country.

This virsus is just the start of a complete human disaster in SA that no one have lived through. Perhaps this virus will bring an end to the black vs white mentality considering everyone and their pets will be wrecked equally.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master

Now, I am all in favour of drama...but that's a bit much.

I would venture that after the RNA settles, after a few years a significant proportion of the population would be grateful for the reset of sorts that has occurred...not in terms of demographics, but in terms of being forced out of the rut they were in

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
And the USA who first refused lock down, who is now facing a horrendous total of deaths.
Per capita they are still behind France, but they are projected to go to Italy levels.

reason being that Americans are fat.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Coronavirus: global cases pass 1.2m as Trump warns US of worse to come

Trump also warned the next two weeks would be the “toughest” and that there would be “a lot of death”. He would deploy thousands of military personnel to support the states, the president said. Cuomo and New York City mayor Bill de Blasio have repeatedly implored the federal government for more help.
New York state is the centre of the outbreak in the US, with more than 113,700 confirmed cases as of Saturday morning. More than 3,500 people statewide have died, and about 15,000 coronavirus patients are in hospital. More than 4,100 are in intensive care where many, if not all, need ventilators.
In New York, the city’s hospitals and morgues are struggling to treat the desperately ill and bury the dead. Crematories have extended their hours and worked into the night, and city officials are looking for temporary interment sites elsewhere in the state.
If only they locked down earlier.

Lupus

Honorary Master
And the USA who first refused lock down, who is now facing a horrendous total of deaths.
An od and a obstructed colon counted as OD, the 17 year old teen died from a heart failure and marked as CovidScreenshot_20200404-221014.jpg

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
This the heart of it all. Are these deaths "horrendous"? Yes they are all happening quickly but is this abnormal or out of proportion for virus epidemics?

Arthur

Honorary Master
Not so. The USA isn't one country but rather fifty. Several governors and dozens of county and local governments had implemented shutdowns and lockdowns. My family in Dallas have been under both mayoral and state gubernatorial shutdown orders for weeks - long before SA. A federally-imposed order is not the only or even best option.

trompie_vyfster

Worse is yet to come. Our government is already hanging onto the Chinese gods and inviting them over here. That would probably lead to even more permanent involvement from the Chinese in this country.
"Attention citizens! The Communists sometimes change their ways, but not their goal: The destruction of our democracy." - International Association for Human Rights representatives. This statement was made at a protest against communism at the Berlin wall in 1981.

Last edited:

zmme

This the heart of it all. Are these deaths "horrendous"? Yes they are all happening quickly but is this abnormal or out of proportion for virus epidemics?
I’ll be the witch and say nope they’re not horrendous in the least. It’s serious but I wish people would use less hysterical language.

Tun@

Expert Member
Judging from how things are run at the moment i don't know why that would be something to fear.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
"Shut downs"
Look at China for what a real shut down is.
It might also be just the immune system and since the data followed the same proportions as sweden, Japan, Netherlands, France etc then you need to begin questioning if a shut down actually does anything at all.

Last edited:

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
I’ll be the witch and say nope they’re not horrendous in the least. It’s serious but I wish people would use less hysterical language.
the UK is projected to have around 6000 deaths, considering that 1200 people die there each day,

It’s basically 5 days of extra deaths.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It might also be just the immune system and since the data followed the same proportions are sweden, Japan,Netherlands, France etc then you need to begin questioning if a shut down actually does anything at all.
Now you are making sense. No need to introduce smoke and mirrors and complicated interpretations of incomplete data to get to the nub of all of this.