125cc vs 150cc scooter?

Mars

Honorary Master
My daughter turns 16 next year and we have decided to buy her a scooter. At 16 she can legally only ride a 125cc, but the 150cc is the same price in most cases. I am having trouble coming to terms with paying the same price for less.
Is there any good reason to buy the 125 over the 150? As for the legality, I have been stopped only once in 15 years of riding (and never ever riding my 250cc when I was 17) and even if they stop her I doubt they will recognize a 150cc over a 125cc.

Its still a good 10 months away but I'm thinking about this now because I want to buy a cheap crappy scooter so she can get comfortable riding it in the interim.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I said nope.
thats my concern as well, unless its a rural area without much traffic.
I mean in Asia most people ride those scooters as soon as they can stand up straight.

but then again, cars are a rarity in Hanoi

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Ignoring legality for a minute, get the 150 all day. The increased power will make a large difference to the speed she can carry, could save her butt potentially.

In terms of legality - remove any 150cc stickers or marking. No way to know unless they specifically Googled the model or something, though you'd have to register the vehicle and it would be contained in the registration data if they did look it up.

maxxis

Something to consider. Scooters have small wheels and are notoriously twitchy when it comes to handling.

Something more normal sized wheels will be much better in the long run.

KTM Duke 150cc. DAMN! She will have all the boys chasing her on their 50cc's

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Something to consider. Scooters have small wheels and are notoriously twitchy when it comes to handling.

Something more normal sized wheels will be much better in the long run.

KTM Duke 150cc. DAMN! She will have all the boys chasing her on their 50cc's

Agree 100%. Scooters are very unstable.

My friends and I were riding behind eachother when we ran over some oil on a damp road.

I and one other friend on bikes stayed up. Everyone on a scooter went down. Two broken ankles and a collarbone on the 4 scooter riders.

On a bike you also ride much higher, so you can see over the top of cars and they are much more likely to spot you.

maxxis

Tiny wheels get stuck on ****. Big wheels roll over it.

I've seen a couple of scooters topple over at traffic lights as well. Tiny bit of gravel and boom!

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Yeah agree scooter tiny wheels is frigging dangerous on wet roads
Is the 125cc Duke available here?
KTM 125 Duke Images

Pineapple Smurf

Tiny wheels get stuck on ****. Big wheels roll over it.

I've seen a couple of scooters topple over at traffic lights as well. Tiny bit of gravel and boom!
Exactly, not much better than shopping trolley wheels
Ive never owned a scooter and never will

Nuro

Expert Member
The risk is so small. Budget for a R500 fine every couple of years.
The one big thing, if there is an accident and somebody gets hurt, you might be in a world of trouble if there's an investigation. It could also affect insurance claims, either your own or somebody claiming against you.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
There's a Honda CBF 125 on bikefind.co.za for R29,900. That would be way better than a scooter and being a Honda, it will be ridden by the next crop of humans after WW3.

There's also a brand new Honda XR 125 L for R34,800.

Last edited:

Pineapple Smurf

There's a Honda CBF 125 on bikefind.co.za for R29,900. That would be way better than a scooter and being a Honda, it will be ridden by the next crop of humans after WW3.

There's also a brand new XR 125 L for R34,800.
Can't go wrong with Honda. Or any Jap bike for that matter, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki. My favourite is still Honda as it is very reliable.

Pineapple Smurf

Anyways, back to the original question
Yeah 125cc or 150cc is not gonna be much different for nipping around in the suburbs or whatever

But what brand are you looking for?

There are tons of kak ones that sell scooters

If you're on a tight budget and cannot afford the Hondas Yamahas etc I highly recommend the Sym brand. These things are bullet proof for their price

1630401032531.png

Pineapple Smurf

1630401297595.png