[13/02/19] Eskom implements stage 3 loadshedding today.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
FY Eskom. I've got a shitload of work to finish and everything is dead. And now to add insult to injury my wife's laptop that I brought to work to use instead has now decided to go into an endless loop of restarts. This will be a wonderful day.
Have you tried burning down a municipal building? Or better yet your community library, that way you help keep the voters vote for the ANC, comrade.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
So much fun ....... transformer in the area blew on Monday after the morning session, took multiple electronics (and my PC) down with it. Think this has replaced crime as the number 1 reason people are fokking off outta here I swear

Craig

Executive Member
Have you tried burning down a municipal building? Or better yet your community library, that way you help keep the voters vote for the ANC, comrade.[/QUOTE]

I should consider burning down a few government schools rather if that's the aim. Got the laptop started finally but lost more than an hour of productive time.

neoprema

Expert Member
So much fun ....... transformer in the area blew on Monday after the morning session, took multiple electronics (and my PC) down with it. Think this has replaced crime as the number 1 reason people are fokking off outta here I swear
I worry about this all the time, its happened TWICE in my suburb. I think these things are just not built to be powered-on-powered-off all the time (by time i mean days vs months/years)

daveza

Honorary Master
https://ewn.co.za/2019/02/13/eskom-to-use-open-cycle-gas-turbines-until-march-says-dept

The Public Enterprises Department says that to accommodate anticipated planned maintenance, open cycle gas turbines will be needed for most months until March 2019.

Eskom said on Wednesday it would implement electricity cuts for a fourth straight day, as the struggling state-owned firm battles a shortage of capacity that threatens to derail government plans to lift the sluggish economy.

The cash-strapped company said it would cut 3,000 megawatts (MW) of power from the national grid from 0600 GMT on Wednesday, likely until 2100 GMT. The utility started implementing controlled power cuts on Sunday.

Around a third of Eskom’s 45,000 MW capacity was offline on Tuesday.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
This is why I unplug all electronic devices in my home 10 minutes before loadshedding starts.

Only after power has been on for 15 minutes do I plug everything back in and start it up.

Only way to protect your stuff against surges, unless everything is on pure sine wave UPS' of course, but who can afford that?

BlooDBatH

This is why I unplug all electronic devices in my home 10 minutes before loadshedding starts.

Only after power has been on for 15 minutes do I plug everything back in and start it up.

Only way to protect your stuff against surges, unless everything is on pure sine wave UPS' of course, but who can afford that?
That of course is the issue! Pure Sin Wave UPS are not cheap!

HunterNW

Expert Member
Rhetorical question.
I pay Xpressnetworks for wifi, Mulichoice for Dstv, Sabc tv license to use the damn tv, but i can't use it without electricity. I pay a domestic to do laundry, ironing and to vacuum, but she can't without electricity.
So paying for services which is worthless at present.
Escom... you going to refund me ? Fkn cnts.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Durbanville still has power ?
You must be in Zone 6 (Tygervalley/Durbanville). Zone 10 (Brackenfell/Kuilsriver) is currently off (12 noon to 2.30pm). See: http://resource.capetown.gov.za/documentcentre/Documents/Maps and statistics/EG2014_02_Area06-s.pdf

Next up is Zone 11 (Kenilworth) at 2pm. The whole thing is quite complex, and its easy to read the wrong lines:
http://www.capetown.gov.za/Family a...lectricity-services/Load-shedding-and-outages and
http://resource.capetown.gov.za/doc.../Load_Shedding_All_Areas_Schedule_and_Map.pdf

P.S. The original load-shedding timetables (early 2000s) had lists per Zone, which made it bulkier, but much easier to quickly get the correct details.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Oops!? Maybe we are only on Stage 2, and they haven't informed the public. Its too confusing to make public announcements every time an extra unit goes offline or comes back online...

Edit: I forgot that adjacent suburbs can go off simultaneously. Its not supposed to happen on Stage 2, but its impossible to draw a map that satisfies all criteria for all situations...

Edit: Maybe @daveza lives next to an Emergency Hospital, or something...

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Oops!? Maybe we are only on Stage 2, and they haven't informed the public. Its too confusing to make public announcements every time an extra unit goes offline or comes back online...

Edit: I forgot that adjacent suburbs can go off simultaneously. Its not supposed to happen on Stage 2, but its impossible to draw a map that satisfies all criteria for all situations...

Not sure if there even is one in this area.

daveza

Honorary Master

Nope - we went down at 12.30pm, half an hour late.

So do we come back half an hour late as well or just have 2 hours outage - who tf knows.