13 exciting electric cars coming to SA next year — and what they will cost

Deandbn

Insane cost aside, this is where it falls apart for me. Daily school runs and random local errand running are a non-issue. But we go on weekend holidays/camping 6-8 times a year clocking up minimum 400-800km per trip on average. Nothing has this range, and a lot of the time our destination is fairly remote. This will be for the 1% for at least a few more decades.
But.. You would use your petrol car for actual travelling.
Electric for showing off for wife on school run.. Only problem is I don't see any suvs..

Bigjay84

Think the question should be is are you going to have to drive to Botswana to charge it ?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Insane cost aside, this is where it falls apart for me. Daily school runs and random local errand running are a non-issue. But we go on weekend holidays/camping 6-8 times a year clocking up minimum 400-800km per trip on average. Nothing has this range, and a lot of the time our destination is fairly remote. This will be for the 1% for at least a few more decades.
Lol yeah I'm sure most people have money to go camping 8 times a year and drive 400km for the privilege.

BuckRogers

People with 3 bar cars stay in hotels.

Nod

Executive Member
Seems there are Solar charging solutions for EVs, but with the price of EVs, there is no need for this yet.
Government must come to the table if they are serious about EVs, the current import duties are not conductive to increasing uptake.

JimboBob

Expert Member
I swear EV's will become like cell phones, you'll swap it like every 4/5 years maybe.
EV's will literally become a consumer electronic device.

sl0m0_za

EV prices are just stupidly expensive. If that's what it costs to save the planet, let it die, along with us fools who insist on profit over environment. The same goes for our current SA car prices. At over 300% markup, the fools are those that buy the cars after being extorted into paying the unrealistic prices. I will NEVER buy a new car in this country again as I refuse to support the car manufacturing price collusion that the competition commission does not see due to blinding kickbacks and total incompetence.

zulu53

Will never be about the environment but profits!!
Not really. All of the vehicles listed have been subsidized by the sale of the companies ICE products - so the "profits" made on the ICE products are just turned into a means to make the EV products look "profitable" or at least "breakeven; or no profits". So are the ICE products "over" profitable - yes. These companies are gouging on their ICE products on the insistence of their respective home government - in this case the German Federal Government; with its long history of being dictatorial. Remember which German leader and his Government led to the development and formation of the behemoth VW company as well as the transition of BMW to cars from planes: who do you think their allegiance is to?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I swear EV's will become like cell phones, you'll swap it like every 4/5 years maybe.
EV's will literally become a consumer electronic device.
A lot of people already do that with their vehicles as well. Especially where balloon payments play a role. Maybe even every 3 years on average.

mypetcow

Where's the issue exactly? It's not like your current car(s) don't need to refuel on your 400-800km trip. On a standard household plug your electric car charges about 40km of range for each hour it's plugged in. If you go to a normal campsite with power and you car is plugged in there for 10 hours...you've got 400km of range again. But obviously if you're thy type to take jerry cans with you into the middle of nowhere for days on end...then maybe these specific electric cars with their current range aren't the best for you.
It will take time until electric cars are made for most use cases such as yours.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
Or the Hyundai Ionic 4
2022-Hyundai-Ioniq-5-SUV-blue-1001x565-1_0.jpg

RonSwanson

Honorary Master