13 killed in KZN church collapse

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Sounds horrific: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/just-in-13-killed-in-kzn-church-collapse-20190419
Thirteen people were killed when part of a Pentecostal Church building collapsed on Thursday night in Dlangubo in KwaZulu-Natal, authorities have confirmed.

Provincial police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbele said the area experienced a storm and heavy winds which are believed to have resulted in the incident.

Police were still at the scene and a total of 29 people have been transported to hospital, she told News24.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
:(
RIP
Condolences to friends and family. Speedy recovery to the injured

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I can't see clearly in the pictures what is it that collapsed. The roof and main structure is still standing. So maybe walls that was poorly built?

Hard to see, but looks like internal brick wall. You can zoom in on the photo:

Edit: Article says there was other storm damage:
Meanwhile IPSS Medical Rescue’s medical teams and rescue division reported a busy night in Ballito and the surrounding areas on the North Coast.

Spokesperson Paul Herbst said their teams attended four structural collapses, nine accidents, flooding complaints and treated 22 people, all as a result of the storm.

“Residents were left with no electricity, as well as houses and other establishments flooded and personal belongings found up to 200m away from their residence, due to the strong winds.”

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hard to see, but looks like internal brick wall. You can zoom in on the photo:
3eeebe44459348f6bb1cc085b80633cf.jpg
I did zoom in. I think I know what happened. It is not the storms fault. The structure is the main building used for events. One side is completely open. They went and stacked loose bricks on top of each other without any cement our grout to create temporary rooms or platforms. Peanuts.

Edit: or the wall collapsed as in post 7....

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I did zoom in. I think I know what happened. It is not the storms fault. The structure is the main building used for events. One side is completely open. They went and stacked loose bricks on top of each other without any cement our grout to create temporary rooms. Peanuts.

See post #7

cavedog

Honorary Master
My dad responded the the scene at around 1am. Everyone was sleeping inside the church when the wall fell onto everyone inside.

Fire brigade was shocked by the poor quality of building with no reinforced wire in the wall. Bricks merely layed ontop of a poor foundation and cement of very poor quality. The cement had more sand and was soft and brittle.

Rip. Horrific scene.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
My dad responded the the scene at around 1am. Everyone was sleeping inside the church when the wall fell onto everyone inside.

Fire brigade was shocked by the poor quality of building with no reinforced wire in the wall. Bricks merely layed ontop of a poor foundation and cement of very poor quality. The cement had more sand and was soft and brittle.

Rip. Horrific scene.

Thanks for the details. Explains everything that happened, though not why this was allowed...

Edit: Sounds more like the building standards for a cattle enclosure. Maybe that's a hint...

Edit: Snap! @Dairyfarmer said exactly what I was thinking...

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
I can't see clearly in the pictures what is it that collapsed. The roof and main structure is still standing. So maybe walls that was poorly built?
It's a shed with walls. The shed has no cross braces in the roof section. probably caused the building to sway making the walls collapse.

42 meters (7 x 6m spaces) and not a single cross brace. There should have been, at least, 2 cross braces per side, possibly 3..
download.jpg

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Thanks for the details. Explains everything that happened, though not why this was allowed...

Edit: Sounds more like the building standards for a cattle enclosure. Maybe that's a hint...

Edit: Snap! @Dairyfarmer said exactly what I was thinking...

Probably not meant to be a church initially but poor building standards nonetheless. If this is in the rural areas, I doubt the builders are registered or any inspector authorised/approved the building.