14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed arrested for bringing homemade clock to school

Sherbang

Executive Member
Police in Texas have arrested a 14-year-old boy for building a clock. Ahmed Mohamed, who lives in Irving and has a keen interest in robotics and engineering, put the device together on Sunday night. When he took it to school the next day, he was pulled out of class, interviewed by police officers, and taken in handcuffs to juvenile detention, after being told by teachers that his creation looked like a bomb.
Many in the maker and tech community have already rallied around him. A hashtag — #IStandWithAhmed — rapidly rose to become one of Twitter's top trending topics, and support has come from a number of sources, including a JPL engineer who offered Ahmed the chance to see a Mars rover whenever he wants. Ahmed's father says his son "just wants to invent good things for mankind" — we can hope that the police reaction won't dissuade the talented young creator from making good on his dream.
CPAFMKrUkAABI2a.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/16/9335965/ahmed-mohamed-14-year-old-arrested-clock-hoax-bomb

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
:wtf: wut? :wtf:

Poor child. Hope it doesn't put him off from creating things. That's what children love to do, create things and be creative.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Ahmed Mohamed? Talk about profiling. I reckon that if Jack Smith or Frank Milton built it, no one would bat an eye.

Hope he brushes this off and continues to put his creativity to good use.

Seriously

Honorary Master
Practising for future?

Seriously now. I wonder if the pricks that accused him and the cops that cuffed him feels proud. Must be because of his name. It's with cased like this when I give up on humanity.

Archer

Honorary Master
The cops involved were not too bright

‘It looks like a movie bomb to me.’
Ahmed had maintained that he built only a clock, but said the boy was unable to give a "broader explanation" as to what it would be used for.
Broader explanation of a clock? :rolleyes: lol

Last edited:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Ahmed Mohamed? Talk about profiling. I reckon that if Jack Smith or Frank Milton built it, no one would bat an eye.

Hope he brushes this off and continues to put his creativity to good use.
Jack and Frank's weapons of choice are daddy's automatic rifles and shotguns.

Pitbull

Verboten
The cops involved were not too bright

Broader explanation of a clock? :rolleyes lol
I would not comment till I have seen a picture of this Clock.

Could have been an honest mistake. Who knows.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
nope.
Ahmed’s clock was hardly his most elaborate creation. He said he threw it together in about 20 minutes before bedtime on Sunday: a circuit board and power supply wired to a digital display, all strapped inside a case with a tiger hologram on the front.
“They were like, ‘So you tried to make a bomb?’” Ahmed said.

“I told them no, I was trying to make a clock.”

“He said, ‘It looks like a movie bomb to me.’”
Really?!!

Archer

Honorary Master
I would not comment till I have seen a picture of this Clock.

Could have been an honest mistake. Who knows.
He showed it to his engineering teacher early in the day who saw no cause for alarm (excuse the pun)

He showed it to his engineering teacher first thing Monday morning and didn’t get quite the reaction he’d hoped for.
“He was like, ‘That’s really nice,’” Ahmed said. “‘I would advise you not to show any other teachers.’”
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-ninth-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece

Pitbull

Verboten

Sherbang

Executive Member
That it?

Sorry saw the other one too.

Could easily have been mistaken for an explosive device by other kids or even teachers without further examination not so?
oh look, it's a circuit board with components. Must be a bomb