157 aboard Ethiopian Airlines flight to Nairobi involved in fatal crash

Grant

Honorary Master
I lost my whole family in the Ethiopian Airlines crash, says heartbroken man
"One day I will go and see God and he will have to explain to me why he took my family."

These were the words of Kenyan resident, John Karanja who lost five family members in deadly Ethiopian Airlines crash on Sunday.

They were expected to arrive from Canada, where his wife Anne visited their daughter, Caroline and his grandchildren.

“I had never taken her out so I felt I had to do something for her,” said Karanja. “My idea was that she comes home with my grandchildren for the Easter holidays.”
He treated Anne, who he was married to for 35 years, to the trip.

The last communication that Karanja recalls was a text from 34-year-old Caroline that expressed excitement but also fear. "I am excited (to come home) but I feel like something bad is ahead”.
Two hours later, she boarded the doomed flight ET 302/10 that crashed six minutes after take-off.
https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/i-lost-my-whole-family-in-the-ethiopian-airlines-crash-says-heartbroken-man-19829118

Grant

Honorary Master
Newly-wed Ethiopia Airlines crash victim's last words to husband
An Indian newly-wed who died in the Nairobi-bound Ethiopian Airlines plane crash had texted her husband she would call him on landing, local media reported Tuesday.

Shikha Garg, who was travelling to attend the annual assembly of the UN Environment Programme, had got married less than three months ago to Soumya Bhattacharya after dating for three years.

Bhattacharya was also supposed to fly with her to Nairobi but a last-minute change in plans meant he stayed back in New Delhi, the mass-circulation Times of India reported.

"I have boarded the flight and will call you once I land," Garg texted.
But before the husband could type a reply, his phone buzzed and a caller informed him about the plane crash, the newspaper said.
https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/newly-wed-ethiopia-airlines-crash-victims-last-words-to-husband-19823333

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
@ Forcefate , thanks for the link.

Here is hoping that all parties involved adhere to the recomendations laid out in the document.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Plane crashes are progress? That's a new one
what i actually mean, is people that died were a result of progress,
if they were in an older plane without all the fancy automation and bells and whistles of this one,

would they be alive today?

so far what everybody is pointing out,
is this accident is a result of progress,
from manual controls to fancy automation that does things people just dont anticipate.

hence all these people died because of progress.

Cray

Honorary Master
It's a horrible way of putting it but many plane crashes allow for updated procedures, improved training, better maintenance, design changes etc.

Sadly we often only learn of these faults when people die because of them..

supersunbird

Honorary Master
if they were in an older plane without all the fancy automation and bells and whistles of this one,

from manual controls to fancy automation that does things people just dont anticipate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_Next_Generation#Accidents_and_incidents

According to the Aviation Safety Network, the Boeing 737 Next Generation series has been involved in 15 hull-loss accidents and 10 hijackings, for a total of 590 fatalities. The worst one involving the aircraft was Air India Express Flight 812 which crashed in 2010.[55][56][57][58] An analysis by Boeing on commercial jet airplane accidents in the period 1959–2013 showed that the Next Generation series had a hull loss rate of 0.27 per million departures versus 0.54 for the classic series and 1.75 for the original series.[59]
Well, the new ones have been continually safer...

ForceFate

Honorary Master

Progress or poor design, depending on which side you're on. Poor designs/implementation has potential to ruin even the best of ideas.

They should work out ways to damper hard landings instead.

ponder

Honorary Master
It's how it works, you advance from the accidents with the new found knowledge. A lot was learned from the first commercial jet airliner for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet

There was a boeing 737 issue with hard rudder locks resulting in fatal crashes, the flight data recorder data was insufficient to determine the cause. BA however had more advanced logging equipment installed on their planes and with the info they supplied the NTSB the cause was isolated to a design defect. The advanced logging equipment is not a mandated requirement and airlines did not install it due to costs.