18 SA Post Office workers fall ill after handling "white powdery substance" in international package

Sollie

Executive Member
I can't see anywhere in that article that the package was opened.
So somebody individually posted of 5,000,000 individual grains of powder? And they happened to be at the same place at the same time? The last is not legit - try getting three parcels that way, one make a detours via your (non-existent) CT address, the other goes to JHB and you are lucky to see the third. No possibility of getting enough grains together to even create an illusion of powder, much less be a danger.

:p ;)
It's Friday.

Reactions: Swa

Jings

Treasure Maker
So somebody individually posted of 5,000,000 individual grains of powder? And they happened to be at the same place at the same time? The last is not legit - try getting three parcels that way, one make a detours via your (non-existent) CT address, the other goes to JHB and you are lucky to see the third. No possibility of getting enough grains together to even create an illusion of powder, much less be a danger.

;)
It's Friday.
In addition, SAPO would never admit to a package being opened. Imagine the scandal.

But it could have just been craft snow. Customs once emptied a whole jar of glitter back into the box from an Amazon order I had done.

Sollie

Executive Member
In addition, SAPO would never admit to a package being opened. Imagine the scandal.

But it could have just been craft snow. Customs once emptied a whole jar of glitter back into the box from an Amazon order I had done.
pla.jpg
Next! ....

Swa

Honorary Master
18 people? So one person thought it was coke and convinced 17 of his comrades to have a free bump?

Only in countries with a federal government, South Africa is not one of them.
A federal offence is a crime against government. Same with England where it was regarded as a crime against the crown to in any way tamper with mail. Weird how in SA it's simple theft if even caught which we know never happens.

These kind of things are taken seriously in some industries, whether it's inhalation of baby powder or anthrax
It says they fell ill, not that they were just quarantined. So how do 18 people fall ill just from handling a parcel? Can we please use some logic here?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
A federal offence is a crime against government. Same with England where it was regarded as a crime against the crown to in any way tamper with mail. Weird how in SA it's simple theft if even caught which we know never happens.

It says they fell ill, not that they were just quarantined. So how do 18 people fall ill just from handling a parcel? Can we please use some logic here?
I have no idea. You're free to speculate. I did.

Quarantined? I'm of the belief that if they had a well-staffed onsite clinic, they would've checked them there. Employers don't want people to die on their premises.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The penalty for tampering with the mail in SA carries up to a seven year sentence under the Postal Services Act, 1998in the US it's a five year sentence.

And a federal offence is a crime against a federal government.

Sollie

Executive Member
I have no idea. You're free to speculate. I did.

Quarantined? I'm of the belief that if they had a well-staffed onsite clinic, they would've checked them there. Employers don't want people to die on their premises.
Definitely not! That's why they have a medical aid.

pla.jpg

Next! ...

Sollie

Executive Member
The penalty for tampering with the mail in SA carries up to a seven year sentence under the Postal Services Act, 1998in the US it's a five year sentence.

And a federal offence is a crime against a federal government.
You do not want to mess with the US postal system, not for fraud either. They take a consistently dim view on that and know how to enforce the rules. Those US Postal Inspectors know what their job is and how to be efficient.

HelterSkelter

Expert Member
Not harmful, used to make yogurt. So why did the 18 got sick?
Did they share 3 vrot roast chickens during tea time?

Glock26

Expert Member
....The SA Post Office has temporarily suspended operations at the Witspos mail sorting centre in Johannesburg.................."

Why even announce it? It will be months before anyone realizes services have stopped. They might never realize it. Just your average service then.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
18 people? So one person thought it was coke and convinced 17 of his comrades to have a free bump?

Only in countries with a federal government, South Africa is not one of them.
Even if you replace federal with functioning SA is still not one of them.

/sad face

zophas

Will we ever find out what this was? Or will the 'white powdery substance' be swept under the carpet?