18 SA Post Office workers fall ill after handling "white powdery substance" in international package

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think this might have been said before, but 18 SAPO workers working at the same time in the same place? SAPO fake news to justify no workers working nowhere.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
He keeps on with this mantra. Ignoring that ordinary parcel shifters aren't even allowed to open parcels.
Dude, no one here, including you and I, know what happened. I just picked something and ran with it. People do it all the time. It's plausible...that's until new info comes forth.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Or maybe they were opening parcels illegally... Balance of probability with sapo heavily leans that way.
That's another possibility. Maybe someone set a trap to see if their parcel will be opened in an attempt to steal it.

There are few more explanations. My point is that in the absence of info, anyone speculating isn't wrong. SAPO don't have a good record so theft may have been their motivation.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That's another possibility. Maybe someone set a trap to see if their parcel will be opened in an attempt to steal it.
Whatever some else did is irrelevant really... If they were opening parcels illegally they should be fired when they get out of hospital and the medical bills should be for their account entirely.

Swa

Honorary Master
Dude, no one here, including you and I, know what happened. I just picked something and ran with it. People do it all the time. It's plausible...that's until new info comes forth.
Dude you keep ignoring what I say about the law. Postal workers are not allowed to open parcels but only appointed officials and it won't result in 18 workers coming into contact with it. There's no plausible scenario where the law is obeyed that 18 workers can come into contact with it.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Whatever some else did is irrelevant really... If they were opening parcels illegally they should be fired when they get out of hospital and the medical bills should be for their account entirely.
I edited the post. I'm not in any way defending them. I've lost stuff in the past. Paid for services I never received

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I edited the post. I'm not in any way defending them. I've lost stuff in the past. Paid for services I never received
The problem is you come across like you are...We've all lost stuff before... And 18 staff members getting ill from the same parcel is beyond suspicious.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
The problem is you come across like you are...We've all lost stuff before... And 18 staff members getting ill from the same parcel is beyond suspicious.
I posted one of many possibilities. No claim was made about it being what happened. Of course it's suspicious.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Maybe the package began to emit puffs of white powder on contact and then 17 other SAPO mail sorters came rushing at once to make contact with the substance immediately in order to make sure it was not harmful and of no danger to the public. One possibility.

Maybe the package contained a volley ball. Everyone decided to take five and have a quick 9 vs 9 when it was discovered that the ball was covered in a strange white powdery substance. Another possibility. Slightly more likely.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Absolutely, doubt that there's anyone that uses SA postal service that hasn't had stuff stolen by SA Postal workers, and I had a good laugh at the idea that a package they thought they'd pilfer backfired.

Feel the same when news breaks of cable thieves getting fried.

Swa

Honorary Master
Absolutely, doubt that there's anyone that uses SA postal service that hasn't had stuff stolen by SA Postal workers, and I had a good laugh at the idea that a package they thought they'd pilfer backfired.

Feel the same when news breaks of cable thieves getting fried.
I've never had anything stolen but then I also order stuff they wouldn't know what to do with.

Jola

Honorary Master
I've never had anything stolen but then I also order stuff they wouldn't know what to do with.
That is no guarantee, they often pilfer packages when they don't know exactly what the contents are, and then just throw the stuff away when they cannot use it.

I have had stuff stolen in a few instances where there was no way that they could possibly have had a use for it.

Swa

Honorary Master
That is no guarantee, they often pilfer packages when they don't know exactly what the contents are, and then just throw the stuff away when they cannot use it.

I have had stuff stolen in a few instances where there was no way that they could possibly have had a use for it.
I know but when it comes in a small low value package they usually leave it alone. I don't know how but when it's something valuable like a watch it always gets their attention. Most stuff gets stolen at JIMC in any case where customs has scanners. I've ordered many things in the past locally for thousands, even a R4k camera, and never had any of it go missing or damaged.

It wouldn't surprise me they actually took a "peek" at this parcel at JIMC and didn't properly close it again afterwards.

zophas

I imagine some guy at Witspos had a hangover or a bit of flu and blamed it on the 'powdery' parcel he touched. So he calls his buddy over and tells him "I touched that parcel and now I don't feel so good", so his buddy grabs the parcel and says "What? This parcel? Oh crap, you are right, now I don't feel so good. Hey, Sipho come look at this" . Sipho comes over and now you just multiply the whole scenario by 18. That's how a few idiots get some time off work to work on their hangovers.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Maybe they thought it was drugs and thought they'd get themselves some of that.