187,000 Smart ID cards gathering dust

TooFastTim

Expert Member
No, no, no. They're busy being used to open buy-now-pay-later accounts all over the country.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Another ANC Success story?
How is the ANC keeping people from collecting their IDs? I had my new ID made in under 3 days. It took less than an hour to apply and around 30 minutes to collect. They even send you an sms to tell you to collect it.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
How is the ANC keeping people from collecting their IDs? I had my new ID made in under 3 days. It took less than an hour to apply and around 30 minutes to collect. They even send you an sms to tell you to collect it.
Well that's why there is a question mark there... I suppose this kind of problem could happen just as well under a different government.
Is it just people being lazy, or has the government failed to see a foreseeable problem?
I'm not overly distressed, except to say that unclaimed cards lying around is probably a potential identity theft nightmare...

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I'm not overly distressed, except to say that unclaimed cards lying around is probably a potential identity theft nightmare...
I doubt any value is to be had stealing the identity of those cards left lying there...:whistling:

Mila

Honorary Master
Mr Mila went for his, it took 15 minutes to apply. 4 hours to collect. That might be why people has not picked theirs up. Not as if bosses will give you half a day to pick that up.

access

Honorary Master
and come election time, these cards would of miraculously been collected and all appear as votes for the anc.

fake ID's for fake votes.

maybe i need a tinfoil hat for a bit but vote rigging is a reality

Jola

Honorary Master
Mr Mila went for his, it took 15 minutes to apply. 4 hours to collect. That might be why people has not picked theirs up. Not as if bosses will give you half a day to pick that up.
Also took me 3.5 hours to collect. Almost turned around and left it.

oober

Expert Member
Can you keep your old ID book? I want to keep it as a backup.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
The best thing that they did do, is to get the banks involved! At least you will get service then! They have the least card awaiting owners too!

Toothless

Banned
I just find it very strange that so many people would take the time to go to Home Affairs, spend anywhere from 1-3 hours applying for the card, pay the fees associated and then decide not to go and collect it. Or, else, agreed with a comment above - closer to election time there will be a few 100,000's funny votes in the ballots...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The best thing that they did do, is to get the banks involved! At least you will get service then! They have the least card awaiting owners too!
The bank roll out has stalled. So far only bank employees were allowed to apply for the cards at the banks. That's why there are so few waiting there - it's not public cards.
The system was supposed to go live over a month ago, but now it is dead in the water.