1986 Toyota Cressida on sale for R1.1m

WollieVerstege

It doesn't. None at all. The real one is probably sold to a museum.

The real one is silver.
A blue one was used in A Long Walk to Freedom starring Idris Elba in 2013.
Well the IOL article said blue. Typical journalistic quality from them :ROFL:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Still see plenty of these Cresidas driving around Cape Town, although they're usually belching smoke from their exhaust and have white patches all over them.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I don't understand how Waseem comes to the price of 1.1 million. Perhaps if it was the car that ferried Mandela to City Hall I could understand. The wording in the article is mighty confusing as well - I assume what they are trying to say is it was sold or manufactured on the day of Mandela's release, and that's what makes it so special?

Perhaps if it was shipped from the factory and stored in a shed for 30 odd years then it would almost make sense. "It belongs in a museum" my ass - it's a well looked after ordinary Cressida. Nothing special.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I don't understand how Waseem comes to the price of 1.1 million. Perhaps if it was the car that ferried Mandela to City Hall I could understand. The wording in the article is mighty confusing as well - I assume what they are trying to say is it was sold or manufactured on the day of Mandela's release, and that's what makes it so special?

Perhaps if it was shipped from the factory and stored in a shed for 30 odd years then it would almost make sense. "It belongs in a museum" my ass - it's a well looked after ordinary Cressida. Nothing special.
I think Waseem is a scam artist, the fact that it's advertised as GLE 6, what self respecting buyer would take him seriously and spend a million rand when he can't even get the basics right?

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
I think Waseem is a scam artist, the fact that it's advertised as GLE 6, what self respecting buyer would take him seriously and spend a million rand when he can't even get the basics right?
I am inclined to agree..

Muttley

Expert Member
It's not even the 3L street eater... (with digital dials)
or GLI-6 hmmmm

ubercal

Expert Member

Waseem + used car salesman = :cautious:

Ares1000101

Anyone driven through Cressida village? It's a sight to behold.

It's a name given to a small village, because most people there drive a Cressida.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
R1.1million for a used '86 Toyota Cressida?

These 'oldies' cost more than most new vehicles

• Toyota Cressida and BMW 325iS models still fetch good money in the pre-owned market.
• A vehicle with low mileage and good condition can make the price increase.
• The Autotrader dealer classifieds hosts a vast number of classic examples.

Every year new vehicle prices continue to soar. Just by looking at the healthy monthly new car sales numbers – despite them being much lower than usual due to the economy and chip shortages, South Africans have the money to spend on vehicles – whether it's small compact or premium luxury offerings.

Buying a vehicle out of the box is undoubtedly the better choice but the performance versions that petrolheads are usually after cost an arm and a leg, making it largely unattainable. Because of this, some would instead splash the cash on much older cars they'd enjoy instead of a brand-new 'ordinary' one.

The internet was buzzing in South Africa earlier this week when a 1986 Toyota Cressida popped up for sale at a used car dealership in Johannesburg for a cool R1.1-million. Yes, the Cressida has a rich heritage in SA, and it was the type of car Nelson Mandel drove in the day he was released from prison in February 1990. But is this price really justified?

According to a report on IOL, High Auto Select owner Waseem Fareed said it's a one of a kind, "mint condition", original GLE model, and absolutely makes the price worthwhile. The ad on the Autotrader classifieds reads: "One of the most original 35-year-old cars with just a few minor touch-ups. Original parts from taillights to headlights. A truly iconic piece of Toyota's history. The interior has never been changed, original radio from 1986, and the very first Toyota floor mats from the day of delivery. With only 102 000km, the 2.4 GLE motor and automatic transmission will last you another 50 years if kept and appreciated in this condition."

c3n0byt3

Expert Member
It's not even the 3L street eater... (with digital dials)
or GLI-6 hmmmm
Ok just noticed now it doesn't have the digital dials. I guess no GLE would.
Also, thinking about it, if it still has parts from the factory, that's not necessarily a good thing.
Those seals weren't meant to last. Also weak point is the radiator.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
No thanks, seems like the guy isn't grounded in reality. Simply check Autotrader and see what you can get.

From a 1991 Porsche 911 (964) Cabriolet with 120000km (R1.1 million) on the clock to a 1990 Ferrari 348 TB with 49000km on the clock (R1.189 million), there are MUCH better offers than this delusional sale.